Suitable reel for all round commercial work

Parky

Reaction score
ello folks,

Im look at getting some new reels. all of my fishing at the moment is on small commercial lakes. i want one reel suitable for float and feeder fishing, and another for method/ feeder fishing.

the plan is i can toss one line out with a swimfeeder, and fish a waggler in the margins. my budget is around ?50-60. i've looked at the okuma polycast reels, are these any good? any other suggestions ?

Thanks guys, Simon

Specihunter

Reaction score
okume interceptors you can get 2 for ?60 and mine haven't let me down in ages

B

BLAM

A couple of second hand Shimano Sahara GTE reels if you can lay your hands on a pair at the right price.

Check out the FM review section.

E

Evan

I'll add my vote for the Okuma Interceptor in the bang for buck and functionality stakes. 40 size good for all round use including waggler 'n mag and feeder / quiver. 50 for dedicated session carping on the rest. 50 just that bit too heavy to hold all day long, 40 if your only reel.

Longevity looking good too. Smooth as butter and not yet even needed opening to lubricate after two seasons fishing.

The simpler and ten quid cheaper Dyna Drag 50 and Dyna Drag 50 pro* are also extremely good, tho with only one ball bearing rather than three in a plastic formed rather than metal body I am not quite so confident in them.

Excellent kit and both far far better than the rather more expensive Prologic Xlnt 40 I was given as a surprise present but which has turned out to be a slight disapointment. Doesn't matter how many ball bearings it has inside if the line is able to get behind the spool IMHO....

Not that much of a surprise tho come to think of it when you realise that Okuma is the biggest manufacturer of reel components in the world. I believe that they make 80% of all of the bits that go to make up all of Japanese reels (tho not Daiwa). Okuma design and make the bits that others then just assemble and stick their names on the final product. Tho Okuma are restricted by confidentiality agreements from revealing just who they make all these parts for. Tho a certain advert for Schweppes comes to mind. Shhhh.....

* Almost identical but the spools are Not interchangeable.

E

Evan

Correction; more accurately, after a bit of surfing to check my info* Okuma make the incredibly high precision CNC lathes and machine tools which are used to make the said 80% of bits of Jap reels, not necessarily made by Okuma themselves direct.

* which derived from a press release when Okuma first started to sell their own range of reels direct, so not necessarily to be taken entirely at face value without checking. The press release effectively stated that Okuma got pissed off watching others selling reels that they had made the parts for or which had been made on Okuma machinery at hugely and ridiculously inflated prices compared to the actual component and materials costs.... so they decided to grab a piece of the action themselves direct, providing reels of just as high quality but at fair prices that beat the hell out of the competition while still making them a good commercial profit. And good luck to them says I....

Parky

Reaction score
Well i just dipped into my wallet. i went to the top end of my budget and got a Okuma Epix pro baitfeeder, a snip at only ?39.99 i thought. im hoping this will be a good investment and last me a good few seasons. fingers crossed you'll agree! haven't got a fixed spool yet but thats next on the list.

Thanks for the advice folks

Parky