tench on little bits of luncheon meat

nicky

Reaction score
I couldn't get any casters this week which proved a success last week, so as an alternative to maggots and bread i was planning on using little bits of luncheon meat cut up small enough to use on a size 14 hook has anyone had any success doing this.
I'll be fishing close in using the lift method.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Yes Nick, 1/4 inch cubes with a size 12 tucked in, trouble is the carp like it too, come to think of it, so do chub and barbel.

nicky

Reaction score
thanks steve thats given me a bit more confidence, i knew the chub liked it but wasnt sure about tench

Beecy

Reaction score
on the subject of luncheon meat, i allways think a nice neat cut cube looks a bit wrong and bite bits off to make a more un-uniform shape... what do you think?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Nick,
Good luck mate, it really does work.
Loose feed some small 3m/m pellets over it and wait for the bubbles!

P

Paul Clarke

I agree with you Beecy . I tend to scrape a knife along the edges and faces to 'roughen-up' the meats appearance . Although saying that , i've still had success with almost perfectly squares as well .

Paul B

Reaction score
I was using meat,corn and bread for tench last week; only caught on the meat. I froze it and glugged it in multimino.
Good luck!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Beecy, I think it depends what you're after.
If it's big chub and barbel, I rip it appart, I've been led to believe it allows more flavour out and the rugged edges look more natural.

Beecy

Reaction score
when im using a big lump of meat I tend to chew the edges off to make a sort of boilie out of it, dont know if this actualy does any good or not, I'm not realy a big fish man and only play at it now and again !

same with the loose feed, i will chop a tin of meat into small cubes then put it in a bag and rough it up a bit

when you think about it though, its probably a bit daft trying to get a piece of luncheon meat to look "natural" !

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Beecy, when I say "natural" I mean rough, not a symmetrical cube. It will rip into flakes and chunks, the fish have probably seen hundreds of neatly cut cubes? Ripping it makes it different, also chuck it into a poly bag and add flavours. Shake it around and it will freeze too.

Beecy

Reaction score
just to be argumantitive Steve, as its a friday night

if the fish are used to seeing neatly cut cubes why give them something different ?

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"if the fish are used to seeing neatly cut cubes why give them something different ?"

Because they might avoid neatly cut cubes, especially the larger, wary fish.

Hmmm argumentative?

;-)

Beecy

Reaction score
I know im being a bit daft now steve, blame it on the German purity law of 1516.

What I allways bear in mind is something i once read by a well known river bream angler from your neck of the woods (name escapes me) when talking about fancy groundbaits to another guy on the next peg, it goes something like...

"I dont know why your bothering with that stuff, i only use brown crumb myself"

"yes but i thought i'd try something different"

"do you think the bream in here have seen that stuff before and know what it is?"

"no"

"well they know what brown crumb is and i know they like it"

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

LOL

Of course this whole argument rests on Mr Tench having the necessary knowledge of geometry to work out what's a square and whats not!

That said I never us cubes of meat for the same reason.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
"I know im being a bit daft now steve, blame it on the German purity law of 1516."

I thought it was 1664?

I use brown and white! 3/1 when I'm after the bream!

;-)

Beecy

Reaction score
Help me out Steve !

I stil cant think of the mane of the angler I was on about and its driving me nuts

A bit a legend on the bristol avon apparently, name me a few