Swim

Cobus Fourie

Reaction score
Hi

How do i choose a swim if the water is brownish in colour after heavy rains , and their are know signs of fish showing theirselves on the water

Thanks
Cobus

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Welkom by Fishingmagic Cobus.

If there are fish rolling in a certain area of water, fish there and get some bait going in.

I assume you are talking about a Typical South African Carp water like Vaal Dam. Yes it does get very mirky after heavy rains. But many of the bigger carp often move out of the deeper water to feed on the newly covered veld.

Totseins en Stywe Lyne.

Cobus Fourie

Reaction score
Hi Ron

Thanks for the letter , Yes i am living in South Africa , and our dams are 100% full of water - and it is as of now very difficult to fish these waters , because of the grass that are now in the water for the fish to feed , you would laugh at me if i tell you that i am using a tooth floss as a normal hair rig , my biggest fish ever caught on this was a 22lb in the freestate dams where i am living, you see my problem is my feeding method i dont know what to do , i put some maize out with a catapult lets say 8 cups full roundabout 40m and i rig up with a boilie , it stays out their roundabout an hour or two but nothing happens , what can i do to catch these carps

F

Frothey

nothing wrong with floss for a hair. why not use maize as bait?

R

My suggestion would be to get a few large cans of sweetcorn and fish about three on a hair rig. Forget boilies, they are expensive to buy and even make for yourself in SA.

Another excellent bait is flour dough made from cornflour and egg. Anything based on maize is almost an automatic bait in the Free State due to the amount of maize that is grown there.

Most fish will not recognise boiles as bait. You have to educate them over often long pre-baiting periods.

And you will often have to wait a lot longer than an hour or two before you get a bite.

A friend of mine did very well with Vaal River carp years ago by popping up a bunch of sweetcorn grains by putting a sliver of yellow coloured foam in the bait. This makes them float and stand above the newly covered grass.

I spent 27 years in SA, 7 of them fishing almost exclusively for carp. I never ever used boilies.

F

Frothey

piece of yellow foams just as good as fake maize cobus, dont get sucked in by our marketting!

Cobus Fourie

Reaction score
yes ron you are absolutely right boilies are expensive over here , and our water doesn't know these boilies except in the Gauteng areas , i'm for now on going to use just maize as prebaiting and on my rig , can i use also the method feeder in my prebaiting swim,

R

Did you know Cobus that what is called the Method Feeder here was probably invented in SA.

A bit of spiral wire on the end of a tight fixed paternoster was being used 60 or more years ago there.

Best groundbait is boiled up hard maize that has been minced up. Its' sticky and holds onto the feeder very well.

Cobus Fourie

Reaction score
so if i use maize as prebaiting i can use also the method feeder with 3 maize or sweetcorn on the hook

R

That's the way to go my maat.

There are also all sorts of flavours and "dips" (the Poms call them glugs") being sold in SA. They seem quite cheap.

They are well worth trying.