Banned

davestocker

Reaction score
I thought I?d have my first fly fishing session for carp this afternoon (dog biscuits, to get them up and deer-hair biscuit imitation 'fly' to catch them) so I turned up full of hope at the Lancashire fishery where I had so much fun like this last season only to find newly-erected signs, saying ?no floating bread baits?, ?no dog biscuits?.
As far as I was aware there were no major problems with floating bait techniques last year. ?Normal? carpers used them, as did I. This is not a serious commercial fishery, nor a match venue where I could see that floating baits drifting with the wind might be disruptive for other anglers. Anyhow, I want to put these spoilsports to the test.

I shall turn up with floating trout pellets (are they safe for carp?) and floating expander pellets, and artificials to match. But I could do with some other suggestions about cheap floating particle baits that aren't bread or biscuits, that work for carp. Do Sugar Puffs work? Rice Crispies? What else is out there that I can use to confound those who would do me, and others like me, down?!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Fake dog biscuits and cork balls, they can't have a problem with that surely?

Good luck, have fun.

;-)

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
suger puffs will work but you may find these quickly added to the band list,along with cake,the ban maybe inorder to protect wildlife from taking the baits (& hook)from the surface.its getting more common on commercials/ponds to ban floating baits

Joskin

Reaction score
D.B says "Fake dog biscuits and cork balls, they can't have a problem with that surely?"

Would get a little expensive to use as freebies D.B. and not to good for the fish.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Dave,

Before trying to find a way around the ban it would be worth finding out why it has been imposed. If it's to protect wildlife you may find yourself rapidly running out of options and/or ending up in a tricky situation with the owner. Floating trout pellets are very similar to dog biscuits and just as effective but someone may think you're using dog biscuits.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Floating baits are banned on one of my waters because of the coots and swans, but the Zig rig is allowed, i.e. floaters a couple of inches under the surface, which is even better.
It may be worth asking about.

Joskin

Reaction score
I think a few people are missing the point here. Dave says he wants to catch on Fly gear. I don't think Cork balls, Plastic baits or Zig rigs are going to help him do that.

There are plenty of floating baits out there but I would do as Mark has suggested and try to find out why the ban is in place before you try to find a way around it. Rules are there for a reason even if those reasons are not immediately apparent.

P

paul williams 2

you can of course fly fish under the surface.....anywhere from 1" to bottom and feed sinking baits....eg, fake caster/real caster?

but personally i think they wil ban whatever you try eventually.

fred hall

Reaction score
I'm baffled as to how you would enjoy your fishing under the circumstances, Dave. Why not find somewhere else where you can fish as you wanted to in the first place?

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i'd ask like joskin says as a local commercial place has banned floating <u>loose feed</u> but still allow floating bait as its under the anglers control,and i did think of using a controller and a hook link with fly type dropper's with fake dog biscuits/floating pellets all hair rigged on different length droppers to avoid tangle if i could and the tip one would have the hook in it.and then all the biscuits would be under my control the ones onthe droppers would be able for fish to pull off on the take but not freely come off i was thinking of using bait bands pulled through drilled holes and either no hair or a flexable one.it would i hope look just like a bunch of biscuits freely floating and the fish could have a go and even take a few till it got to the one with the hook in it.

William Foxall

Reaction score
they stopped floating baits at the pond dave is on about because last year there was several insitents on the pond especailly at weekends were several people were drifting in to other peoples swims an fights broke out, several rods were broken etc and police were called in. the same pond if its the same one has just changed hands so the numpties are in for a sucking they'll end up on borrick waters.

davestocker

Reaction score
Well, I finally went and risked it. Turned up at the carp fishery where I fly fish for them, that had banned dog bikkies at 7pm last night, with some floating trout pellets.

Got the carp going on top after about 15 minutes. A bloke comes along and sells me a permit for ?5. He's friendly enough but thinks I'm trout fishing (doh!). I explain that I'm carping, but I don't mention the biscuit ban. The pellets are visible in a bag at my feet. I catch a fish of about 5lb and land it in front of him. He goes away. I lose another couple of carp in play and at about 8.30 hook and land a double of about 14lb. I suspect that if I'm the only person who's chancing it by fishing this way, I'll probably get left alone. The consequences? Less pressure on the fish from others, so maybe more for me. But it could go tits up yet.

Thanks to all who've made helpful suggestions.

B

Another problem with anglers useing floating baits especially where they are banned is that the selfish culprits who are useing them are spoiling other peoples fishing by bringing the fish to the surface over somebody's bottom bait.

davestocker

Reaction score
I can't understand why anyone would want to bottom fish, if they could catch on the surface. It's more visually appealing having piles of fish topping, swirling and slurping, than waiting for something to happen underwater and an alarm to start going off.

It's wind that's really the problem, Baz. Here's a suggestion for floater etiquette - always fish floaters with the wind blowing towards you. That way uneaten bait comes back to you, and doesn't piss others off.

L

Les Clark

Takeing carp off the top has got to be the biggest buzz going for a carp angler ,its the D.B. ,but you have to find the right swim to do it ,which most times is not hard , little bays , top ends of the lakes , heavy reeded swims ,and the good thing is ,not a lot of gear needed plus you can have a good short session ( 3or 4 hours ) a few carp and still get home for a beer .

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
If they are fishing on the bottom when the fish are on the top then tuff luck and get your lazy butt off the bedchair and floater fish.

What about people fishing bottom baits pulling fish down from the topn where im fishing for them.

The fish will feed where is most comfortable for them so people should take the hint when theve got there backs out.

B

Budgie Burgess

Dave if you are so keen to fly fish for them then use a fly ! This pissing around with mixers on a fly outfit confuses me! why bother? use a small suspender buzzer (Ive found both red and black to work well)and fly fish for them properly!

B

That's the kind of attitude that causes the problem Benny mate.