hooklink braid

Specihunter

Reaction score
can anyone recommend a good braid that dosent fray when making a hooklinks i'm using merlin non coated

B

Big Rik

is it fraying when you tie it or after use?

fraying along the length or just at the cut ends?

what are you using to cut it?

C

chris 2

Does it matter if if frays.Use mantis top quilty hook length hey but what do i know ive only been posting on this forum for 5 mins.If its fraying along the length you are doing something wrong.

F

Frothey

"Does it matter if if frays"

what a stupid statement. if it's frayed along the length of the hooklength, you've lost some of the strength.

"use mantis" - top quality yes, but not for every situation.

do a few tests ;)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I am thinking of trying some ESP striptease, with the last inch or so stripped back to the braid, has anybody used it?

B

Big Rik

If it's fraying along the length when you're making a rig, then it seems like you have either....

1)very rough hands so the fibres catch on your skin.

2) you're extremely clumsy and you're pulling sideways

Merlin is a good braid, but it's non-coated and woven, so it's quite easy to accidently start to pull the weave apart.

Another braid or different make isn't going to help you. All non coated braids will behave the same.

(who remembers untwisted silkworm and the problems with that??)

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Stripteaze appears to have a problem with the dye running and fading although apart from that it is supposed to be a good hooklink.

F

freespiritboy

I use super nova or esp sink link and i've never had any trouble with either of them.

B

Thanks lads, is there any difference in diameter between 15lb Striptease and 15lb Mantis?
I am looking for a small diameter.

B

Big Rik

All my coated hooklengths are from the Kryston stable, I don't need to look at other brands when their range covers everything I need.

U

unknownforce

hi baz, just to back up benny's statement, i was an advocate of stripteaze, bt it has serious colour problems and goes white. i only noticed it recenty when getting back out there on nights. i use mantis, snakebite or korda hybrid (better than kryston stuff, i think, but harder to work with) for stiff/combi rigs and silkworm when a supple approach is needed

B

Big Rik

"korda hybrid (better than kryston stuff, i think,"

bit different to all the other opinions on here if you do a search

F

Frothey

not just the opinions on here!

does it matter if the 1" or whatever that you strip back goes white?

not had that problem with daves stuff though....

B

Thanks again.
I will be doing a spot of gravel bar fishing, that's why I opted for the coated braid, at the same time haveing that supple inch or two near the hook.

B

It's a bit weedy also Rik, but not heavily.

B

Big Rik

just that a coloured, coated braid over clean gravel may appear a bit obvious.

J

Jeff Woodhouse (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya

Anyone thought of using permanent pen markers on their braid?

U

unknownforce

i didnt like the hybrid at first and rated the stripteaze. but i have found that if you take time with the hybrid and steam it when your rig is finished, including your knw to tighten it down, it is the stiffest and straightest material i have used. each to their own though, is only my view of course