The Method

Dave Verburg

Reaction score
I went to Drayton on friday and had a go at fishing the method up in the water. The float drifted a lot, is this normal or is it just down to me not feathering the line properly? Any help please?

Dave

C

Chris Bishop

I'd try asking in the General Forum. This one can be a bit quiet at times.

Joskin

Reaction score
Dave When you say you fished it up in the water do you men you used a method float?
The method is either fished on the bottom or with a method float otherwise known as a bagging waggler.
If it was a bagging waggler you used then sure it can travel with the wind or tow on the water as can any float that you fish with the bait off the bottom. However if you are fishing the bagging waggler then you should be casting it every two or three minuets or less and in that case the drift would not make too much difference. If the drift is still a problem then you need to be cutting out the amount of slack that you have in your line after each cast. Try feathering the waggler down on the cast so the line is taught when it hits the water.

Dave Verburg

Reaction score
Hi Joskin

Thanks for that. It was the baggin wag that I used. I think I may not have been feathering my line when casting. So I will take more care next time.!
Dave

Joskin

Reaction score
Be sure to keep casting it to the same spot every 2-3 minuets. After a while the carp will start to asosiate the splash with food and they should start to react to it as though it were a dinner bell.
After a while you will start to get takes the moment the method ball hits the water but keep hold of your rod and use heavy line (8lb ish) as takes can be savage as the fish compete for the food.

Dave Verburg

Reaction score
Thanks Joskin

I am looking for a space in my dairy as we speak so I can go back to Drayton and have another go with my new found info!!!!!!

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
one other thing dave....one of the most important things to get right when baggin waggler fishing is to get your groundbait mix right.the groundbait needs to be fizzing away and creating a colum of particles falling through the water.there shouldnt be any groundbait on the floats frame when you wind in....if there is then your mix is too stiff.
steve ringer really knows his onions when fishing the baggin waggler at drayton,try finding some of his writings on the subject.

Joskin

Reaction score
Good point Nick.

Try putting a good helping of crushed hemp in with your method mix Dave.
Also try varying the depth that you are fishing at every few casts untill you find where the fish are. You can have it just right one moment and then the fish can feed higher or deeper in the water the next.

philip Barton

Reaction score
I am new to match fishing in fact my second only match is on saphire lake Lincolnshire next week anyone any suggestions how to fish the venue

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
rods for casting method feeders.....some folk use speci carp rods,some folk use proper method feeder type rods and some folk use barbel type rods.
one thing i will say is this...you dont allways have to wang the feeder out over the horizon to catch carp.
if you are unsure what to buy,then try and have a look at what other anglers use...you`ll be able to see what the casting actions are like,do the rods seem a little too stiff etc...and what reel to team up with your rod and lines etc....you`ll also notice that not everyone uses speci type feeders some if not most will probably be using the smaller match type variety.this is another thing to consider when selecting a rod.

Milo

Reaction score
Just a thought but, one of the Carp Crew programmes, which you can find on DVD, covered the bagging waggler - I think it featured Steve Ringer and Jan Porter...

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Steve ringer and jan covered it on the freebie c.d in the angling timesand it was based at drayton res. good c.d as well.