How long does it take you to set up ?

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Last weekend I had the pleasure of a full days fishing, early start and everything. 6.30 start and pick of a large local water - great. I blanked, despite my best efforts but inbetween that, from my vantage point I noticed the brotherhood of the angle, the gang of happy splogers in all their glory go about catching fish (albiet not many came out at all despite the glourious weather).

The main thing that struck me was how long it took some to set up. One guy set up rod after rod, top kit after top kit, bait carefully prepered - it must have taken him an hour and half or more. Even that frequent summer visitor "deck chair man" seem to take a while. As an evenings only man I've fine tuned my kit as much as I can to get set up and start plumbing up ASAP and go about catching (although obviously sunday was an exception).

So, how long does it take you to set up ?

PS the other I noticed was how quick the carpers were to set up - and how much pot they smoked !!!

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
It depends on where I am fishing. I don't keep any rods set up but I do store pole rigs. We normally get an hour and a half to set up for a match and 9 times out of 10 I am still not ready at the All in . For a short session pleasure fishing about 20 minutes.

little oik

Reaction score
Most of fishing at this time of year is short session fishing .I work out where I am going to fish and set up at home accordingly.I have a lot of the depths written down at home so apart from fine tweaking (height of water ) I am ready for the off within minutes of arriving at the bank

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I would guess anything from 10 to 20 mins depending where I am & what I'm trying to do.

I dont carp fish and based on the guy next to me yesterday I'm glad I dont. He arrived pushing what looked like a small house and after 10 minutes on pure oxygen began banging about with mallets etc.I thought he was building an extension. I timed him at 1 hour 50 before the rods came out. He then spent another 40 minutes nobbing about with his £700 bait boat [he told me...I didn't ask] when he could have ambled around the other side and chucked his bait in by hand.Then we had 15 minutes of alarms and then the boat again delivering his rig. Then it was brew time with a burner like a blowtorch.

Finally he sat down for 5 minutes only for his rh rod to go.Blimey,I thought, maybe all this malarkey is worth it after all. It was a 2lb bream.

" Well done " I said. The look he gave me would have stopped a workhouse clock. Bit rude I thought.:D

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
So, how long does it take you to set up ?

If it is an evening session on my local river then it takes about 15 to 20 minutes from arrival I suppose. I know most of the swims intimately so depths etc is very quick.

I keep my river rods in a small quiver complete with reels but not ready set-up. So it is relatively simple and swift to get ready. I am very fussy over my baits though so I probably spend more time sorting those out than anything else.

All day sessions probably take about 30 to 40 minutes to get totally set and ready for the first cast, whereas a long weekend session with bivvy and associate paraphanalia will take several hours.

noknot

Reaction score
15-20 Mins for 2 Carp rods being cast and baited, and just because I am a Carp angler does not mean I smoke POT does it!?:mad:

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
noknot said:
15-20 Mins for 2 Carp rods being cast and baited, and just because I am a Carp angler does not mean I smoke POT does it!?:mad:

Calm down, it wasn't a sweeping generalisation merely an obersavation of the 3 sets who were fishing fairly close to me ie within sniffing distance. I'm not saying all the carpers were smoking pot ( I didn't wander round the lake to check ) but those near me did and smoked loads.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
My rods are set up before I go, so if it'sa water i know, then i am ready and fishing in no time at all, a new water will be between 10 and 20 mins.

A short couple of hours in the morning or evening, i am ready when the rod sections are pushed together, everything is set up ready to go, hook, float, shot etc etc, just stick on some bait, and ledgering is the same, i just have to add the lead.

I have my rods set up at all times, but add the hooklinks when i go.

If i smoked pot ( yes I used to now and then, but dont smoke at all now ) it would take me hours, first i would have to stop eating sweets, then try and find everything.

I have a story about pot smokers and fishing, new thread for that.

noknot

Reaction score
Calm down, it wasn't a sweeping generalisation merely an obersavation of the 3 sets who were fishing fairly close to me ie within sniffing distance. I'm not saying all the carpers were smoking pot ( I didn't wander round the lake to check ) but those near me did and smoked loads.
Jimmy I do not need to calm down, but I get ****** off with all this anti Carp angler tosh, one brush and tar springs to mind....

richiekelly

Reaction score
takes me a lot longer than it used to because of the way my hands shake,maybe a joint would help them stop shaking if i could keep my hands still for long enough to roll one:wh

Andrew Macfarlane

Reaction score
Unless I'm after early morning tench or something, I'm in no hurry to get set up at all. Much of fishing for me is just being there.

andreagrispi

Reaction score
Small/medium river after chub/roach/perch/barbel about 10-15 mins.

Medium/large river - if I dropper/spod - 20-40 mins.

Canal - pole; bomb; float - 15-25 mins.

Pond - pole; float; short/mid distance feeder - oh I give up.

The shortest (except spinning) - bomb/feeder with worm/bread on a river 5 mins.

Longest distance feeder fishing for bream on a lake which also requires a bait up with spod gear 1 hour.