Jig fishing for zander

C

Chris Bishop

Dave Gaunt's got a stunning read on using rubber lures for them in this month's Pike and Predators.

Best thing I've read in years, partly because there's a lot of original thinking packed into four or five pages, partly because it's not some thinly-veiled advertising feature designed to make you buy a particular company's lures.

Anyone else see it..?

Giles Hill

Reaction score
Concise with plenty of content - nice to read something that keeps you thinking after you've flushed...

G

Gary Knowles

I have to say I've only recently started fishing with jigs and I'm loving it...

Surprising results too.

J

Jack Pike BA

Not seen it yet but I chatting and watching ( won't name names) a well knowed piker who was using tiny fish like jigs to catch perch quite amazing to watch about five or six perch following the same lure.

D

David Marrs

I'll have to read it when my dad gives us the mag back Chris, he nicked my copy to show to his mate as I featured in a pikey piccy on page 29 :) lmao

A

Andrew Macfarlane

I don't fish for Zeds but I share the same opinion of jigs, especially where Pike are concerned. A 4" fluoro pink/orange shad is pretty difficult to beat, especially when you consider the depths you can cover with them.
Jigs are dirt cheap and even the crappiest jigs still catch fish. I don't go lure fishing without a few shads and a couple of Storm swimbaits these days. It just shows that lure fishing is only as expensive as you want to make it. I often fish jigs straight off mono and it's perhaps the only lure fishing discipline that seems to work better if you leave the braid and the multis at home.

A

Andy Doughty

Very interesting read. Cant wait until the 16th now.... I can see a little bit of controlled drifting coming on!

Top head gear Dave, even the pike looks like its laughing ;-)

G

Gary Knowles

"I often fish jigs straight off mono"

Andy - I assume you mean with a trace !!!

C

Chris Bishop

Top head gear Dave, even the pike looks like its laughing ;-)

It's Russian Army Surplus Andy - as worn in the siege of Stalingrad.

D

David Marrs

Yeh, Yeh Chaps, lol you watch, it'll be 'the' next fashion item for the 'thinking predator angler'!!!

lol and it's British Army 'Arctic' issue.

S

sash

Hi chaps,

Got a couple of photos of Disco wearing said nifty headgear myself (and a fish I think). Might just pop them over to Graham for the next caption competition ;o)

A

Andrew Macfarlane

"Andy - I assume you mean with a trace !!!"

No. I like to leave dead Pike everwhere, with my jigs and a foot of mono in their mouths.

G

Gary Knowles

Calm down Andy - it wasnt meant to be critical merely to point out to less experienced pikers that may have misinterperated what you wrote...remember not everyone on the forum is as experienced as you are...

C

Chris Bishop

Got a couple of photos of Disco wearing said nifty headgear myself

Rap it Sasha - he'll get his agent onto you.

A

Andrew Macfarlane

Sorry Gary, I was being sarcastic. It's not like me to forget that we have novices looking in.