100th thread!

B

BLAM

I've posted regularly since the forum opened and have found it generally useful from a reference perspective. Barbel fishing also seems to polarise opinion so the political angle is well covered as well. But is there enough specific material relating to Barbus Barbus to warrant having a separate section or should it be rolled back into Coarse Fishing? What is there to discuss in the close season and doesn't it get covered in depth elsewhere (BFW et al)?

F

Fred Bonney

Anyway,why go to BFW,when you have all the help you need here.
You'll only end up with some one disagreeing with you,just for the sake of it,on there. ;o0

Graham Elliott 1

Reaction score
I'm sure you would get some more hot of the press gossip, articles and comments.........if you didn't charge so much for advertising...!!!??

Graham

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I heard a rumour that a certain group have bought themselves a large people carrier and comunal bivvy fo their weekend fishing trips.

C

Chris Pearson

Baz,
I hope you have got some evidence to support that allegation ;-)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
That said and not wanting to hijack the thread ;-0

I am somewhat ambivolent to the Barbel Forum not having fished for them for a long, long time.

I suppose two schools of thought are evident:

1. It keeps some of the major arguments off of the Coarse and General threads, but . . .

2. Is there really enough content to justify a separate forum?

If I were to be honest then I'd have to say that giving the Barbel a separate forum only served to further segregate the Barbel angler from other Coarse anglers and adds to the 'cult' status that this fish has attained in recent years.

Still, each to their own.

MJ

Reaction score
so by setting up a separate interest forum, the participants become segregated from the wider community eh? interesting concept peter..

can we have a bailiff forum? ;-)

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
MJ, maybe my comment came across a little 'heavier' than intended - if the Barbel threads had remained within the confines of the General or Coarse forums then I am sure that a lot more FM readers would have seen and read them, as like me, I only open the Barbel forum once in a blue moon.

Mind you, I'd second a Bailiff Forum ;-)

P

pons

For whatever reason,the separate Barbel thread ,does seem a little slow.
I suspect ,specific Barbel forums cater for most,and this would be more effective back in coarse fishing or General.

However,I am sure Graham has all the answers re hits,etc,and is probaly hoping it will pick up,or may be quite satisfied with its progress.

Early days perhaps,in a competitive marketplace.
Pons.

B

I think having a Barbel forum only serves to highlight the more controvertial side of the sport so far. Come back Bob, all is forgiven.

A bailiff forum would be one of the most peacefull and agreeable elements on this site. But it MUST be done my way.

F

Fred Bonney

Perhaps, we will get more interest from everybody, now that a certain person,who appeared to be only interested in attacking individuals and organisations,has gone quiet.
Could he be, one of those that Graham mentioned has left,because he couldn't get his own way?
I must admit it is difficult to add posts to this Forum,because of the fear, that it has probably been discussed elsewhere, on the main Barbel sites, on at least one occasion, already!
Would FM'ers be interested in putting their slant, on recycled threads from elsewhere?

B

I only use this site Fred, (it's the only one I trust, along with the people) so I would be very interested in aything that gets discussed. I am sure there would be many others.

C

Cakey

Im a out and out carp man but I do like reading some of the barbel threads

Reaction score
FM is the only forum I post on and as an all-rounder (with a love of barbel) I appreciate the advice and banter available through this section and the barbel fish-ins.

Despite (or perhaps because of) the ?riveting? personal agendas of fellow FM?ers this section has produced everything from the very sublime/ informative (thanks Guy Robb for PVA tips) to the ridiculous/ argumentative (thanks Bob, Tony et al for keeping it surreal!) No offence intended?

Either way our own FM barbel circus has produced important debate and action on a number of vital issues such as the question of retention systems (thanks to Swordsy and other members) and (thanks to Baz) the potential problems of the unethical and shady dealings of ?stretch poachers? such as Cl*ther*e Anglers Ass? Ltd.

Happy 100 barbellers and long may it continue?

Just popping down Hazelford... very excited! Barbel tastiest this time of year! ;-)

F

Fred Bonney

Beware the eggs are said to be poisonous,so the fish may be too.