Long Range Waggler

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The men who introduced me to long range waggler tactics were Peter Stone and Barry Horwood.

I fished Smiths Pool at Linear from 1995 to 1997 and caught lots of belting chub with this method. I also had some interesting company at the time.

Matt Hayes and Andy Little. Even big Des came down to have a go.

I caught lots of chub over 5 lbs using single maggot or caster on 1.7 lb hooklengths would you believe. Best fish was 6lbs 3oz with two others over 6.

Happy memories.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Another very interesting article Mark.

The long range waggler was one of the most successful methods for me in matches in Scandinavia on both rivers and big stillwaters.

Some of the Norwegian rivers, like the Glommar, are very wide indeed and if you could master the long range waggler you would nearly always out-catch the boys on the feeder as Mark says, by catching the smaller fish with always the possibility that the Bream, Ide or Chub would move in.

The only difference is that on a river I usually chose to feed with the catapult before casting; whereas on the stillwaters it was cast and then feed. I tried both methods during long practice sessions before settling on this approach. However, as Mark points out as well, different days need different tactics.

I am looking forward to seeing the next instalments very much.

Thanks Mark.

S

Steaker DunLurkin

Now isn't that a coincidence ..........

I've had a hankering to rekindle this abandoned method from my youth. I finally managed to get a session in last Sunday and what a day! As you say, time passes in a flash when you're busy. Just a rod, bait waiter, catty and chair. No bivvy, no brolly, no alarms or any other accessories, except a rain jacket. Surviving on a thermos, sandwiches and a packet of chocolate digestives.
I had the lot, crucians, roach, perch, carp and bream. The penultimate fish was a beautifully marked 3 1/2lb koi. One of a handful that had cruised disinterestedly, around the border of my swim all day. The final capture, a well marked perch, fell to a bare hook while the rod rested in the sticks.
Your article only strengthens my resolve to 'retro-fish' more often in future, as all everyday thoughts take a back seat, on an enjoyable trip down memory lane.

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
We fished the VERY long range waggler in Sottish Lochs in the 70s and 80s.....Floats were made by removing the contents of a bic pen, filling it with lead, and adding a 18 inch length of peacock quill which was painted all black, we fished at range, firing balls of groundbait laced with hemp and caster. Often the undertow was incredible, and we'd fish as much as 4 foot chained with shot on the botton, the big Roach still hauled the tip under. A great method !

Y

yoggy

Mark,great stuff mate.I must confess i havn`t done alot of long range waggler fishing.But this has encouraged me to do alot more.All the best.

Struckanov

Reaction score
Great stuff!

I know it's an old article but it inspired me! To such extend that my planned session on monday is now a long range waggler approach, if the elements allow...

Keep it coming mate!

Keith M

Reaction score
Iremember talking to someone who used to fish with one the fathers of long range waggler fishing 'Ivan Marks' and he told me they actually used to fish the original zoomers attatched 'top and bottom' and feather them down on the cast, however when they started selling them in the shops they were bottom only loaded wagglers.

When the rudd are topping I fish for the rudd in our clubs estate lake at extreme range (as far as I can feed the loosefeed) and sometimes follow the rudd shoals around using long range floats (from Darts to small zoomers) however 99% of the time I use Onions with long sarkandas reed stems and small round loaded bodies. sometimes you can get a couple of shoals of the ruddgoing in different areas and alternate between them. It makes a nice change from the Pole.

Great article Mark, and am looking forward to the next one.