Molasses

Cobus Fourie

Reaction score
Hi

As winter are closing in our water here in South Africa , What do you think about Molasses in Groundbait , do you guys use it also or not.

F

Frothey

yep, top stuff. see if you can get some corn steep liquor as well

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The winters where Cobus lives would surprise you.

Generally over 5000 feet, dead flat and when a southerly wind blows from the Antarctic you can get night temperatures down to -10 dec C.

No clouds in winter by the way. Frosts virtually every night from the end of May to the end of August. Brrrrr!!

R

Joburg by the way is a lot milder than most places in the Free State.

R

You can get corn steep liquor easily in SA Cobus.

African Products make the stuff in vast quantities. Its a great carp attracter and is excellent mixed with groundbait. Marouk, which is the grainy residue from the bottom of fermentation vessels used in the manufacture of sorghum beer is also very good. Trouble is, it really stinks, especially after a few days when secondary fermention takes place.

Many years ago I aquired 5 sacks of very smelly marouk. This we dumped unto the Vaal River at Riverton-on-Vaal near Kimberley. We caught large numbers of carp to over 25lbs.

Most were in the 13 to 17 lbs bracket.

We used plain brown bread paste flavoured with corn steep liquor on the hook.

R

My Father-in-Law once told me that whenever I went fishing, it smelt like a distillery.

Those fish you are catching must all be "three sheets to the wind".

:eek:)

And I once met an old angler at the Bon Accord Dam just north of Pretoria. Everyone knew him as Oom Koos. He made up his bread paste with brandy!

R

Cobus,

I must tell you how to catch one of the best natural baits of all.

Big fat black crickets!

Get some bits of old sacking and lay them out on your lawn. Underneith the sacking place some slices of bread. Leave the sacks there all night.

Next morning lift the sacks and grab!!

Watch out for scorpions!

Both carp, catfish and yellowish love these crickets. They are almost an instant bait.