So that's how you use one

Clikfire

Reaction score
Thanks Jeff,

bought a sliding float 20 plus years ago, then never knew how to use it so it just decorated my tackle box.

Just one question, doesn't the knot move when passing through the rods eyes on the cast?

B

Bob Watson

Good article Jeff. I learned the slider float as a boy and have used it since, even in shallow water under certain circumstances as mentioned on another thread.

Could I recommend plumbing the depth before adding the bulk shot, just one shot placed where your bulk will be to plumb up will get you a more positive response from the float.

Excellent idea about changing the line colour in the illustration, it's the first time I've seen it used and even though I know the knot it still makes it stand out.

Mike Redding

Reaction score
One additional tip that can be useful on occasion is to fix a no. 6 shot about 1 foot above the bulk. This helps to prevent the float tangling with the bulk shot on the cast.

Does anyone have any experience using rubber float stops in place of the sliding stop knot? I'd be curious to know how well they stay in place on the line and whether they are better or worse for sliding smoothly through the rod rings?

Mike.

C

Chris Bishop

I use them all the time and reckon they're loads better than knots, though I probably fish slightly heavier than some of you guys. I usually slide two on together to help stop them slipping.

J

Jeff Woodhouse (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya

Clive - the knot shouldn't move at all providing you've tightened it correctly and don't trim the tags down too far. Short tags tend to stick in the rings, long tags flow through.

Mike - Nice tip about the small shot above the bulk. Can't remember that being on the original packaging for Billy's floats, but a good one!

Chris - I appreciate what you say about float stops, but I find they get stuck or move trying to go through the rings. Plus, there's the additional cost!

Yacko

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
A nice clear article- can I just ask - would it be worth trying a partially loaded waggler. I thought they are supposed to help prevent the float flying up the line on the cast?
Yacko

J

Jeff Woodhouse (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya

What's important Yacko, is the very tiny diameter of the float's eye. It is so small that it prevents the float moving up the line in mid air. Even if it does, it wouldn't be by much and by then it doesn't matter anyway.

If you find a loaded waggler with a very fine eye, try it. Could work.

Yacko

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
When you mentioned a small eye, I was thinking to prevent the stop knot pulling through - didn't realise this would also help to keep the float still.
I think the only disadvantage if the float flys up the line is you can loose distance on the cast (in theory).
Thanks for the help - must give it a go sometime soon.
Regards Yacko

captain carrott

Reaction score
also try one of them olivette thingys instead of the bulk, it's less prone to tangles if it's fixed/

if you don't have a float with a very small eye with you, stick a samll fine bore beed between the float and the stop knot to do the same job.

C

Chris Bishop

Jeff's right - disregard what I said.

I'm forgetting I usually use braid and my rods probably have far bigger intermediate rings than the float rods you guys use.

P

Paul Christie

I think the down side of a partially loaded waggler is that it's far less buoyant and takes longer to surface.

I recall a mate using one in Ireland and it didn't always surface, as any slight friction and it remained submerged, which was a bit frustrating.
But he was fishing at a decent range which probably added to the problem.

Clive Finch.

Reaction score
The use of a stop not just needs a litttle practise, I use it in "Cramped" situations on a very natural pond (all rushes and overhead branches), as long as the eye of the float is smooth enough for the line to pass through it work with very small floats. Small floats are a must in clear water,I think.