Severn sea trout?

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
I've caught a couple of fish like this recently from the middle severn. What do people reckon it is?

The one in the pic weighed 11oz and was 12 1/2 inches long. Caught last friday evening on a gold, yellow and orange tube. The fish took in a rising and colouring river (I could just see my feet in thigh deep water) from a spot 40 + miles and 5 weirs above the tide.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y282/Tomrigby/IMG_1076.jpg

Opinions gratefully receieved.

Tom

Ian Whittaker

Reaction score
Brown /rainbow cross, Tom .
Caught a couple of similar lookig fish in NZ recently . The mouths were smaller/more delicate though, with a few fine spots on the outer edge of the tail, no dominant body colour either.

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Ron,
I'm glad you said that.

Been after a genuine Severn sewin for a while.

Thought myself that it might be a rainbow brownie hybrid when I first saw it. But then I've caught lots of brownies from the severn, but no rainbows. Sent scales off to the EA for verification.

I think the severn has more sewin than we know about just nobody fishes for them properly.
Caught it from a ford, where running fish might rest.
Tom

Bernard Jackson

Reaction score
I think you will find its a brown trout, i caught one a while back from just above shrewsbury 24''in legnth 11''girth very silver, a scale sample was sent to the severn trent lab it was a local brownie,If you kept the fish send them a scale sample they would be as interested as you in the result,

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Hi Bernard,
Scale sample on the way. That fish of your would be 41/2lb or so. That is some Brownie for the severn.
Did it have any red spots on it? Or red tinges?

Tom

Bernard Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Tom,
The fish that i caught was very silver,the tail made it obvious it was not a salmon, i like you was very excited at the thought of a severn seatrout,but it was not to be, best of luck with the scale reading.
Bernard

Tom Rigby 2

Reaction score
Hi Bernard,

I've just got this report back from Charles Crundall at the EA. thanks to Charles for the swift turnaround.

"The two fish definitely look like sea trout, I have also looked at the
scales you sent me. As suspected the scales were largely replacement
scales, which are unsuitable for scale reading, however a few were ok.
It is hard to establish if trout have run to sea from such a small fish,
but basically you are looking for an increased growth rate when they
reach the estuary. The scales showed consistent growth rate that
suggest that the fish did not remain in fresh water over the winter
period, although this is not conclusive. Basically go on the visual
appearance, and I would say they were sea trout. We have also had
reports of good numbers of small sea trout migrating over Diglis Weir in
late April."

Tom

Bernard Jackson

Reaction score
Hi Tom
congratulations nothing like the boffins telling you your right, if they have been found at diglis they will get higher up without much problem, great news best wishes Bernard

Frank Gleeson

Reaction score
The Severn does have a run of Sea Trout, but as you say not many people know it.
A member of our club had one of about 2.5lbs some 10 years or so ago from the Berriew area (5 miles upstream of Welshpool). He caught it on a spinner, a Colorado Spoon!
Scales were sent to the water Authority where it was confirmed as a Sea Trout.