braid

N

Nicky Garbutt

im going to buy some braid how much will i need. i cast lures 20-40 grams i fish in open water.

thanks.

R

Rob Brownfield

Nicky, get yourself 100 yards, and back it with nylon. U need the nylon to stop the brais spinning on the spool.

S

Sean Meeghan

Nicky

I agree with Rob 100 to 150 yds is ample. I don't know if you've decided on a make yet, but for what its worth I've had experience with Power Pro (50 lb for jerkbaiting), Sufix Herculine (18lb for light lure fishing) and Berkley Fireline (30 lb for plug fishing). My prference is for the rounder, tighter braids such as the Herculine and the Power Pro as Fireline tends to be a bit thicker and 'fur-up' a bit. One more point, ALWAYS use a grinner knot and pass the line twice through the swivel eye.

N

Nicky Garbutt

im going to give the penn stuff a ago cause its cheap and you get 200yds for ?21 in 20 breacking strain.

D

Dave O'L

Rob & Sean, Just to check but would you use a double grinner to join braid to nylon?

R

Rob Brownfield

I dont actually tie the braid to the backing nylon, i just loop it on. My reasoning is that if I hook a fish that i cant stop on 80 pound braid...i dont want to land it!!!..lol

C

Chris Bishop

I used to like the low dia braids but I had a fish bust me on 30lb Whiplash the other week when I was out with Ron Clay - it cut me on a snag.

Never had this happen with Fireline, so I'll probably stick with that from now on.

S

Sean Meeghan

Sorry if this is posted twice, but I think something didn't work. I do use a double grinner, but I don't worry too much about how good it is. Like Rob I'd be worried about landing a fish that could take me down to the backing on strong braid! I did hook a fish like that once but thats another story. If you want a reliable join to mono tie the braid bit of the knot in doubled braid.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris..I now ONLY use Fireline when bait fishing. I think that the line take a damn sight more abuse, laying across rocks, the bottom, weed etc. For lures though, i use Andico braid, but am thinking of changing to PowerPro.

C

Chris Bishop

This braid was two years old and I'd never had a problem with it.

Hit a fish right on the top, it surged off, felt the line grate on something and it was gone. Last couple of feet of line were all frayed up - I reckon I'd have lost that fish on anything, they did up a railway bridge over where we were fishing and a lot of scrap metal and other junk ended up in the river.

Still makes you feel a total waste of space though, although the fish was lightly hooked and the bait was hanging outside its mouth.

Once I'd calmed down I tackled up again and had a 9:8 zander, which half made up for it.

R

Rob Brownfield

Chris..i used to use Whiplash, but found it wa too easily broken...so stopped using it. It was naimly for ultralight fishing with the 15 lbs stuff

C

Chris Bishop

This was 30lb, I binned two spools of it when I got home. Have got 65lbs Whiplash on a rod I use for drifting, will probably scrap that as soon as I can afford it.