MOLEHILL SOIL

nicky

Reaction score
I have heard it mentioned that molehill soil is a good additive to add to your groundbait and that it lowers the food content.

Has anyone ever used it?

Is it anygood?

If so what species is it anygood for?

I was thinking of trying some as it's cheap and readily available.

M

Mark Hodson

Usefull for getting feed like joker or bloodworm to the bottom quickly but provoiding no food content, also forms a nice dark cloud in the bottom layer of water that encourages fish to feed. Used for smaller silver fih mainly on clear venues such as winter canals. Good for feeding chopped worm in for perch as well.

Not so much an additive but more of a medium to use to get feed into a swim without using any cereal groundbait or anything that will fill small fish quickly, leam can also be used in the same way.

nicky

Reaction score
Thanks guys but i have one question if it doesn't have any attractant properties why use molehill soil rather than just plain soil.
I read somewhere that it may work in a similar way to pidgeon crap because moles eat worms and the remains end up in there burrows which then gets kicked out with the soil and that there is possibly something in it that the fish like

Matt Brown

Reaction score
Nicky, molehill soil (and leam) has no attractive qualities at all.

As Mark touched upon, it allows you to add feed items such as maggots or chopped worm, form a ball in a similar way to groundbait and cup or throw it in.

This can be a great way of making sure your feed is where you need it, especially in deep water or where small fish may intercept the feed in the surface layers of the water.

I've been using it while perch fishing with chopped lobworms.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There are lots of myths about molehill soil especially in the gardening world, that it possesses some magical ingredient, but it is exactly that, a myth. It is simply soil that Mr Mole has pushed out of the ground except that, due to his digging action it is much finer than the normal compacted earth.

L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

And it contains mole poo that is made up of digested worms

nicky

Reaction score
anyone got anything to add to lee's comments, I think it was ian heaps ex world champion that said that the mole poo may make it enticing to fish, thats not to mean that he's correct, but he's obviously someone who does know a thing or two about fishing

Matt Brown

Reaction score
I can't add to what Lee has said, but I forgot to mention that I have use molehill soil to colour up a clear swim, the idea being that fish will think the cloud has been created by other, feeding fish and therefore they will join in.

nicky

Reaction score
makes sense matt, basically the same as what mark has said, i suppose i'm just looking for something for nothing always have had deep pockets and short arms