Freshwater Cockels & Mussels

Dave Verburg

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I used to use freshwater cockels & mussels as a bait when carp fishing but have recently found them difficult to get hold of. I called into the local fishing mongers and she told me that they are not getting caught in any great quantities anymore and are therefore difficult to get hold of. Is this true? If so does anyone know of any places in the northwest I can get any from? I've tried the ASDA'a etc but they only have the pickled varity. I dont suppose I could rinse them could I??

F

Fred Bonney

Dave,do you mean freshwater or just normal seawater that haven't been pickled?
Fresh mussells,the uncooked variety in their shells are available on most fish counters,cockles do seem hard to come by.
But John West do tinned clams in brine.

F

Fred Bonney

As good as cockles but, they are smaller,in fact, they are half the size,more to the hook!
A good particle ;o)

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I thought cockles & mussels was a 50/50 mix?
Swan mussel is supposed to be good, but I'm not sure if they are protected or not.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
If you have a Chinese supermarket near you, that's a fair bet for cockles.

F

Fred Bonney

I thought they were,but you can pick them up in garden centres fish areas.
So,maybe not,it would take them too long, I would have thought, to breed them to the size they are.

B

I allways put them back if I catch any.

C

Chris Bishop

Cockles galore down here but they quite often ban harvesting them because of DST poisoning. Meant to be a good tench bait I believe.

F

freespiritboy

CC Moore sell frozen mussels for ?11.50 per kilo. And Prologic sell tins of musselmeat for about ?7(ish) per kilo can. Not sure about cockles though.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
It is the freshwater pearl mussel that is protected, different latin name to freshwater mussel. I still put them back as they do a great job filtering the lake water.

C

Chris Bishop

Has anyone registered for that wildlife forum out of interest..?

B

I'm all for livening a bit of discussion up. (o