Splicing LeadCore

M

Malcolm Bason

I seem to have more and more of a problem splicing leadcore!

How do you cope with the braid material fraying when trying to splice it back through itself to form the loop?

I used to be able to do it ok, but just lately??? Any offers of help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

R

Rob Brownfield

If its the same stuff i use, cut the braided bit, then, with a lighter, just seal the ends of the braid. U dont have to actually pass it through the flame, but just hold the flame close enough for the ends of the braid to start to curl. This should solve your problem.

M

Malcolm Bason

Excellent idea Rob - mant thanks. Such a simple thing, and yet has been very frustrating for me recently - ah well, it just required a simple solution. ;o)

R

Rob Brownfield

I use braided loops for attaching leaders when Pike fly fishing..thats how i stop them fraying...seems to work fine.

G

Gary Knowles

Malcolm,

As Rob says melt the edge with a lighter but then trim the melted bit with a sharp pair of scissors into a point (like an arrowhead). Then push the strands where the splicing needle is already inserted together. This loosens the fibres and helps the 'point' slip through easily.

Barn