This seems

• Thread starter Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)
  • Start date
R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Although it's a bit fiddley, it looks like this is a very good knot indeed.

The half blood WITH a tuck is useless for fluorocarbon. I have used a standard half blood without the tuck for many years now and never had a problem.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I gave up on flouro last year after loseing too many fish. I still have the line so I'll give this knot a go. Ta very much.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Ron, is the half blood the same as the grinner?
I've been using the Kryston fluoro since Graham sent me it, I haven't lost a single fish.
This knot looks good though.

R

The Grinner is not the same as the half blood at all. The Grinner knot (invented by **** Walker and named after one of his sons who was always grinning) is virtually the same knot as the Uni-Knot.

Baz,

If you have been having problems with fluorocarbon, what brand have you been using? By far the majority of fluorocarbon brands are rubbish.

A good general tip is not to buy flurocarbon with a carp on the package. Go for the stuff sold for fly fishing.

B

It did have a picture of a carp on the package Ron.

T

tom riordan

I find the Palomar knot to be reliable as well on flurocarbon. I use p-line which is actually a copolymar with a flourocarbon coating. in makes it very flexible and limp.

R

Krystonite, probably the best general line I have ever used is also a copolymer with a fluoro coating.

T

tom riordan

Just tied a couple of hooks up with the Orvis knot, I had no problems getting the hang of it, so I will give the knot a good test run in the next few months.

B

I am useing the Krystonite with full confidence. A knotless knot on the hook and a polomar on the swivel.
Biggest fish so far is an 18lb mirror on 8lb Krystonite line, with a good actioned rod in open water. But I had to steer the carp away from some snags. The line and knots held up well.

G

Grant Lever

i use the grinner for almost everything except joining hooklengths and fly line leaders,then i use a knot i saw illustrated in a.t. by jan porter some years ago,he called it a dorman knot after terry dorman who showed it him,never seen it anywhere else but it is a superb knot,easy to tie and 100% reliable.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
I've tried various knots over the years but I've gone back to a half blood without a tuck. As long as it's tightened very carefully it's tough and reliable.

7-8 turns for line below 5lb, 6 or 5 over that

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Do you think this a better knot than the palomar Ron and if so why? Certainly it looks simple enough, but I reckon it needs testing against say a palomar or grinner by somebody who knows what they are doing.

Like Graham M always says, great care needs to be taken when tying any knot using fluorocarbon line which Krystonite isn't of course its coated line. I lost a good barbel on the Wye last year having played it ready for netting and the line broke at the knot which I'm convinced was down to my tying it too quickly, since having some advice off Graham I seem to have solved the problem, hopefully.

J

jonathan warrener

So does this knot have a name? Oops just re-read - Orvis knot. Doh!

Paul Morley

Reaction score
Palomar all the way just cos it's so simple, tho fluoro is a nightmare; I suspect we're all hoodwinked by this material - anyone care to convince me? I admit to using ESP ghost on the Ribble for barbelling, how I got away with it when every knot at every extremity showed wear I don't know.

C

Christian Tyroll

i like the look of this knot, will it
still be a good knot for mono and braid?

it looks very simple, so i like the idea of using it on other matierals!

thanks

christian