Line Ratings

M

michael bracken

I have been fly fishing for about 4 years on and off now, and i am thinking of getting into it a bit more and buying a new rod.

I am a reasonably good caster, but im wondering what # line rating i should be using.

I fish a small stillwater mostly, and up to now i have been using a 7 weight line but im wondering if a 6 weight line is better for this type of water. i tried my grandads 8 weight and i just didnt like the feel of it, felt a bit heavy.

should i get a 5/6 weight rod and use a #6 line or a 7/8 and use a #7 line?

What do you people recommend?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

If you fish small stocked still waters, a 6 weight outfit is perfect. On little lakes I often go down to a 5 weight.

For big reservoirs I prefer a 7 weight minimum. Lately I have been using an 8 weight shooting head and it's worked just fine.

If an 8 weight line feels "heavy", it just may be that your rod is not man enough to handle it.

S

Shrek

I would favour a #6 outfit for a small stocked water and would use either a #6 rod or a #6/7. You might find that a #5/6 rod favours the #5 line more and struggles with the #6 in anything other than a floating line.

R

Richard[reformed fly angler]Huggett

I reckon it all depends on which water you fish. My local, although a small water, contains fish in excess of twenty pounds...you'd be there all day trying to land one of those little devils on a #5 rated outfit.

Now Ron will prove me wrong....

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I don't want to try to prove you wrong Richard.

I have caught several double figure trout on small lakes and in these circumstances I wouldn't go below a 7 weight with 8 lbs leader and ONE fly and a good disc drag reel like the Pflueger Trion.

That's what Pete Cockwill uses.

keora

Reaction score
I'd stick to at least a size 7 for a small stillwater. An 8 is better to cast if there's a gusty wind.

M

michael bracken

Ok thanks everyone.

Ive been looking at the Greys GRX rods but they dont do a 6/7, only 7/8 or 5/6.

I dont really want to get the 7/8 as it may take the fun out of playing the fish, as the average sized fish i catch are 2-3lb with maybe the odd 5lb+ fish. If this isnt the case then would a 7/8 rod cast a 7 weight floating line properly?

cheers.

S

Shrek

Michael, there is a #6/7 rod, either a 2 piece or 3 piece, in the GRX series, but you might find them hard to come by as the GRX range are now discontinued, hence why they are fairly cheap now. They have been replaced with the GRXi range (same rod with go faster stripes on the side) so have a look at those.

For the size of fish you mention, a #6 outfit would be more than enough. As for the #7/8 rod, yes it will definitely handle a #7 floater properly, as it will an #8 floater too but might then struggle with any other #8 line i.e. intermediate, slow sinker etc.

Don't know how much you want to spend but I have a Greyflex M2 that I don't really need anymore if you're interested. Send me an email if you want more info.

Cheers,

Adrian

M

michael bracken

Ok cheers.

Thanks for the offer, but my local tacle shop is doing a deal on the old GRX rods, I think its ?100 for the rod the reel and the line.. not sure though. But my grandad is also interested in the deal, if he gets it i may buy his rod from him, which i like and its rated 6/7/8 so could be perfect for me :D

thanks

keora

Reaction score
I've been using a budget price 9.5ft AFTM 7 - 9 Shakespeare rod for rainbows averaging about 2lbs, and the rod is supple enough to deal with these fish without it feeling too stiff.

P

Paul Coxon

I'm new to fly fishingbutwant to invest in a fly fishing outfit that I will not outgrow and would be grateful for some advice. I also want my kit to be as general purpose as possible. I intend to fish in a local lake, but wouldlike to use the same kit for reservoirs and (occasionally) larger rivers if possible. I realise that this is a tall order!!!

I have done some research andhave found adeal that includes a Greyflex M2 9.5' rod, grxi reel with 3 xtra spools and 3 Snowbee's lines. All this seem good stuff. I'm not sure, however, whether to go for a#6/7 rod with #6 lines or a #7/8 rod with #7 lines.

Which would be best? Are there any better alternatives in the same price £240 bracket?