Folding Trout Nets!

W

William

Can any one recommend a suitable folding trout net for carp stalking? I?ve had look at Pafex, but wondered is better option. Any tips or pointers much appreciated.

Many thanks William.

B

Big Rik

I haven't found any that are suitable or many that are very fish friendly.

W

William

I should have mentioned I suppose, the carp only go to low doubles, where I intend on fishing and no chance of encountering anything super large.
I thought all modern trout net where knotless? And relatively ok for the job, as they seem to have been adopted by Barbel angler?s over recent years.
Also been looking at the Redport fastnet, and a Whitlock net by Raywalton any feedback on these also very welcome.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
Why not get one of the folding head carp nets. JRC and Fox do them iam sure others are also available.

W

William

Hi Brian! Is that where the net once made up, the net and spreader separate from the pole, or do they collapse when still attached?

What I?m after ultimately is something that can be worn on a belt or on my back, or similar to the fastnet. Erected super quick no fuss, and don?t get in the way.
My patience has run out with regular style carp/specimen landing nets with regards to being mobile or in tight spots, or walking in dense undergrowth.

I

Iain Wishart

I have got a Pafex net from Leslies of Luton. I use it for stalking and river fishing. It's the largest size and can cope with double figure carp etc. The mesh is fish friendly and suits my needs. Its folds up ok, but when clipped on your belt tends to catch on your legs or the ground, therefore I tend just to carry it with mesh rolled up. Works for me!

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
yep,pafex for me too,black mesh with 32" arms,light as anything and the handle extends to 6ft
for 30 odd quid they are superb
regards matt

edit-forgot to say,worn with a fly fishing waistcoat with d ring on the back just clip it in and walk for miles

Fred Blake

Reaction score
The Harris Angling Co do a roving pike anglers' net called the Huntsman, but I am not sure if the mesh is suitable. I suppose a replacement mesh could always be fitted. Their website might be able to help: www.harrisangling.co.uk

W

William

Thanks for the vote of confidence in the Pafex; I like the idea and the price. With regards to the black mesh, do they come in both green and black, or did you fit your own mesh Matt?

Thanks for the tip Fred!

mattzzzzzz

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay-been fishing,it came with the black mesh already on it,the only problem i have found is the end caps that hold the string from arm to arm are weak and can split-I solved this by wrapping them in black electrical tape,otherwise the split plastic can damage the netting
Speak to Fordham and Wakefield 01892 863153 ,ask for the longest handle with the black carp style mesh in 32"

cheers Matt
heres a pic-copy and paste.
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c134/mattzzzzzz/DSC01129.jpg

W

William

Fortunately I fish waters with out any regulations or a great deal angling pressure, for the time being at least. As long as degree of common sense and care is taken I think personally 30in and above is sufficient, well for the carp that I?m likely to encounter at least.

W

William

My favourite landing net is in fact a deep meshed 30in spoon; it?s only down fall is doesn?t pack away, and is rather cumbersome. But is by far the best shape for landing most fish in my opinion.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Cakey, have you even ever considered to envisage a 42 inch diameter landing net?

Now I know you might mean 42" arms on those horrid triangular anachronisms with the silly string across the front that people these days call carp nets.

But I am talking about proper landing nets! Triangular nets should be consigned to the skip. If I had my way I would ban them.

I have netted catfish of over 40lbs in a net of only 34 inches in diameter with no problems at all.

C

Cakey

"If they insist on 42", go somewhere else; life's too short..."

so you would fold a 40lber in half in a net to small ??

R

Neither have I Cakey.

But I will stand by what I say. Triangular nets are the worst possible shape for landing big fish. The only positive aspect of a triangular net is that it can be folded down easily for carrying.

And many years ago, carp angling legend - Peter Frost landed a 30 pound carp from Tiddenfoot lake in a 20 inch diameter chub net.

The best shape for any landing net is a slight pear shape by the way.

C

Cakey

my new pike net is pear shaped and ive seen pear shaped nets on sea fishing progs so i wonder why not carp nets

R

The most important part of a landing net is the mesh. It should be deep and it should be wide, so that the fish is not doubled up in the bottom.