New Waters

harristom85

Reaction score
Recently i've started searching out new waters in my area and being from an old mining town there's alot of pits around some accessible some that are not, i've found a few lakes that seem to be quite untouched by fishing i know one that is fished because i've seem remnents of tackle but apart form these obvious signs what are the best clues i can look out for at these lakes for signs of aqautic life?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The direct way would be to ask the Farmer landowner if anyone can fish or does fish them. If no one is fishing them you could be onto something, ask first, that way you won't upset anyone.

harristom85

Reaction score
i don't know who the land owner would be i think anglian water might own it because there's a water station next to it but it's not fenced off and there's no signs around saying no fishing there's only one sign saying CAUTION DEEP WATER NO SWIMMING,i've just been down there on my lunch break and there's only one possible place to fish from without getting a machete out and doing my best indiana jones impression, looks promisinmg though because it's away from the road and the place to fish from is dropped down about 6 foot so no one could see me if i did fish it.

waggy

Reaction score
i don't know who the land owner would be i think anglian water might own it because there's a water station next to it but it's not fenced off and there's no signs around saying no fishing there's only one sign saying CAUTION DEEP WATER NO SWIMMING,i've just been down there on my lunch break and there's only one possible place to fish from without getting a machete out and doing my best indiana jones impression, looks promisinmg though because it's away from the road and the place to fish from is dropped down about 6 foot so no one could see me if i did fish it.

Why don't you just phone Anglian Water's fishery officer?

harristom85

Reaction score
NOKNOT - I don't really have a set species i just like fishing been mostly getting small roach from my local commercial pond but want to venture away from there as it's getting into nice weather and all the "butterfly" fishermen are coming out and the fish are getting pressured to much

WAGGY - i didn't know the anglian water had a fishery department, i'll scout about online and have a look

harristom85

Reaction score
Went down there again today and found an old boy feeding the ducks i asked him what the lake was and if he saw anyone fishing there he said no and that it was a drain overspill for the local industrial estate, i know there are fish i saw the signs, bubbles, fin movement, etc the other day when it was quite hot so i reckon i will go and try my luck next week when i'm off

jimmy crackedcorn

Reaction score
Drain overspill from local industrial estate ? Bubbles? Fin movement ?

Sounds like some swamp monster to me. Runaway !!!!!! :) :)

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Had a look at the map and to see if there is any angling club in Corby (I take it you mean Corby Northants?). Can't find anything, but there are quite a few pools and small lakes that look interesting.

You have Alan's Angling Mart in Rockingham Road, Corby, next to the Royal Tandoori, why not pop in there and make some enquiries?

harristom85

Reaction score
I spend alot of time and money in that angling shop it's quite good but if this place is unfished i don't really want to go divulging it's whereabouts all over corby as there is only one real spot to fish from, there's hundreds of small lakes and pools in the area, pretty much all unguarded (except for the clay holes, which have a rumours about monster one eyed pike that eat ducks and all sorts but is closed off and monitered by security), it's a shame there is no angling society because it's a really good area, maybe someone could advise me on how to set one up?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
You don't have to tell them where it is, just ask if they know of any. Mind you, they probably fish there and won't want to tell you about it. :D

Again, ask around if anyone would be interested in creating an angling club, the shop once again is a good source. Then you have to find places to fish. As for running it, come back on FM and search for "Running a Club as a Business". Lots of tips.

harristom85

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Jeff, i've been thinking about settign up a club for a while now and becuase of my job i have a lot of free time to do something like that and i know a few people who would gladly help me run something like that.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
I'd be very interested to know how you get on when you fish it mate

harristom85

Reaction score
I'll update this post when i go. i'm probably going to go on friday because i'm teaching my mate how to fish on thursday at our local boating lake and figure people will be too busy with "the wedding" to notice i'm gone on friday.