UNCONFIRMED REPORTS OF ZANDER IN THE MIDLAND LAKES

D

Denis Goulding

There have been several un confirmed report's of Zander being caught in the midland lakes on IRELAND...
Has anyone else heard anything???????,i will keep u posted..

R

Rob Brownfield

Wow..more mass culling on the way then..I cant see the Irish Fisheries(read...Trout are the only fish for this bit) board will take too kindly to that!

D

Denis Goulding

ROB,
That's the normal opinion all the PAC GUY'S have of the fishery board's here in Ireland,the amount of work they do on coarse lakes here far out weigh's the work they do on Trout water's,there are so many coarse/pike waters available in Ireland that the Trout have to have specified lakes,what the board did in the past culling pike i agree was wrong,but moving fish is sensible but only to a degree.I have heard of Zander wiping out rivers and lakes in the U.K....is that true..???..
I am a Trout angler first and foremost but i love my piking also and am saddened to see the work the boards have done in the past culling so many beautiful big pike,big pike keep the eco system in a lake right only for them there would be lakes full to the brim with fish but stunted fish, i am sorry to get into this but i get this from all pike anglers evrywhere i go and most of them could not unhook a deeply hooked pike with killing it for love nor money,i wa s brought up to respect evryone's opinion but a lot of these so call pike protector's have caught double figured wild brownies out of season and killed them and 1 bloke send's in letters nearly evry week to the main papers about trout anglers killing pike ,he can blow what he say's out his arse-hole for all i care,talking bullshite and trying to sway the public's opinion,i have rattled on ,so what do u think??????

C

Chris Bishop

No, it's not true and I doubt they'd survive in many lakes over your way.

They colonised rivers and drains here because the region concerned was criss-crossed with inter-connected waterways with a high percentage of fodder fish present as small silver fish.

There is a lot of hysteria but if you look at waters where they have been established years - Great Ouse, Cut-Off, Middle Level system etc - they have a distinct chain of effect:

Reduction in small silver fish, fall in pike population, more of prey biomass as larger fish which are safer from attack.

In Ireland most of the bigger waters have very low densities of both prey fish and preadtors - they'll simply starve out there mate.

D

Denis Goulding

Chris,
That's great new's,u are right in what u say,prey food is hard to find on large waters here,but when u do u have great sport,like i did on sunday 17 pike,on the troll,25ft down,great fun no big fish though,thank's again Chris..
Chris i was also told recently while we were having a discussion about Zander being found or not found as the case may be,,,touch wood..that they are one of the only fish that kill for the sake of killing,i really doubt it,but what do u think.??..

Regard's
Denis..

C

Chris Bishop

They sometimes disable or kill their prey because they can't wolf larger fish straight down like a pike can.

You get dropped takes, which people blame on resistance, but I reckon they've got an inbuilt instinct to carry on so the fitter, faster fish effectively provide the rest of the shoal with some pickings.

Incredible fish though mate - we've had a really good (or lucky...) run of them this summer, once they get into the 8 - 10lb bracket they're enormous with pectoral finds like table tennis bats and spikes everywhere.

Needless to say I love 'em to bits.

R

Rob Brownfield

Dennis...firstly I am not in the PAC..and if i caused any offense...it was not intentional..sorry.

I live in the north of Scotland..and believe me..Pike are treated like dirt..its awlful..and the new green paper on Scottish fisheries makes very little mention of any coarse fish...so i am a little sensitve about fishery board envolvement etc.

As for Zander in Ireland..seems unlikly..but..stranger things have happened..lol

D

Denis Goulding

ROB,
NO u did not mate,don't worry about it,it just rases my hair a bit when the fluff chuckers get trashed whenever the pac think it's appropiate and now they are fluff chucking for pike,makes u laugh really.
Rob if i upset u in any way i dd not mean to and i wasn't directing the " off my chest bit " at you...Just annoy's me to hear the PAC giving it loads and our trout waters now becoming ful of Roach and where do u think they came from,not from trout anglers anyhow..lol...
SORRY ABOUT THAT ROB..

CHRIS,
Well if thery are not doing any harm in the water they are that's cool,but if they have the affect the weils catfish( if that's how u spell it)does it could mean disaster.
A native fish is what should be in the water nothing else in my opinion unless they are severly controlled and managed properly..

Regards,
Denis..

R

Rob Brownfield

Denis, the problem I have in my area is that Pike, Perch and Brown trout have been in the waters for thousands of years, living side by side, but the trout clubs seem to think that the pike will eat all the Trout and that Rainbow Trout are "natural" to Scotland and therefore stock any water thats not attached to a river with finless monsters!!

I love wild brown trout fishing, but hate the Rainbows for a hole in the ground...its like commercial carp fisheries..exceedingly easy, and boring!

C

Chris Bishop

Left alone nature usually sorts things out. It's when people start interfering with it the problems occur. It's only a freak of nature we haven't got zander in this country in the first place. And they never had pike in Ireland till people took them over there.

D

Denis Goulding

lADS,
U are dead right,but as i said fishery's properly controlled like Rutland and the like are great fishery's..And they are not easy and the majority of the fish are fully finned.As they are in most of the rainbow fishery's here in IRELAND.That's unless u look out for when the fishery get's stocked but most good angler's like to fish at the most difficult times as it is more challenging to them.Like your good selves.I have not seen any photo's of the so called Zander but here's not hoping..lol..
Regards,
Denis..

C

Chris Bishop

The only way they'd get over there is if poeople took them. Fingerling zander are easily transportable and can be obtained fairly easily (I'd surmise...) by netting some of the shallower field drains.

If you look at today's poopulation in the UK, which came from 97 fingerlings, you can get some idea how they'd spread.

I wonder at the motive though.

R

Rob Brownfield

Denis...we have an influx of hole in the ground trout fisheries in the north east of scotland. Most of them are no more than a couple of acres, heavily stocked etc. One or two nice ones though.

I cant comment on the big reservoirs in England as i have not fished them.

Motives for Zander in Ireland..mmmm..well...plenty of roach for the buggers to feed on...should grow very quickly..etc etc. The Germans seem to like Zander, and plenty of them fish Ireland..maybe???

Or maybe its Bin Laden...terror on the Loughs!!

D

Denis Goulding

Well,there were no roach in Ireland 10 years ago and we had great rudd fishing now we have lot's of roach and the rudd have all but dissapeared save a few little lakes here and their the " tourist" pike anglers have not found.IN a lake near my homeplace as a kid i could find 20-30 heads of large pike on the shore of the lake evry sunday morning as this was our family fishing day out,the german's 'italian's used to travel over in coverted traveling fridges,they used to make a HELL OF A LOT OF MONEY OUT OF IT.One chap i remember alway's had a bucket of live roach beside him and up to 10 rod's,there was no restrictions back then and catch and release was unheard of,now the lake is polluted with roach.

F

Fergal Scully

ZANDER IN THE MIDLAND LAKES NOW THATS DEFINITELY GOING TO UPSET THE TURNIP CRUNCHERS THAT LIVE THERE. I WISH SOMEONE WOULD INTRODUCE SOME BARBEL (ONLY JOKIN)

R

Rob Brownfield

U have Carp for livebaits now...what ya complaining at?..lol

Deagánach666

Reaction score
Left alone nature usually sorts things out. It's when people start interfering with it the problems occur. It's only a freak of nature we haven't got zander in this country in the first place. And they never had pike in Ireland till people took them over there.
Cop on, pike is a native species unlike roach, chub, dace and rainbow trout. Yet these fish are treated better even though they do more damage