rod review

Bernard Jackson

Reaction score
I have the chance to obtain one of these rods,and would be greatful if anyone who as owned or used one could give me their views,the rod is from the 1980s period.

M

mark williams 4

This rod used to be a favourite of a mate of mine who fished for England, so it ain't bad. If memory serves, it's a bit heavy but has some power, not bad for casting, but I suspect that you could spend ?150 and get a much better rod these days.

If you're paying, I'd say ?30...

Bernard Jackson

Reaction score
Thanks Mark,
I just thought at 10' 6'' it would be ok for a spot of loch style fishing,and i would not be paying a lot,
many thanks for your comments.

Richard Nelson

Reaction score
I owned one of these when they were new, and it was the shortest time I kept a rod before getting rid of it. It was so stiff and unresponsive, the only way it was made to give some "feel" while casting was to load up with a much heavier line weight than the rod was rated for.

I bought the Hardy Richard Walker Farnborough which was much more to my liking.

I did like the colour of the rod which was a distinctine green/blue.

J

James Kinnear

I have had one of these rods for about 10 years and i find it is great, i use it for loch style fishing and for small river salmon , have landed salmon up 13lbs on it I think it is a great all round rod.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

With great respect to dear old Bob, I never did like his rods.

Always hellish heavy and "lumbering" is the way I will describe them.

Personally I would go for a rod made up on a Harrison blank these days. I have a 10 foot 8 weight rod made up for me on a Harrison blank by Steve Parton. The more I use this rod, the better I like it. Used it today to catch 10 trout to 3 1/2 lbs from Thrybergh Ressie using a 7 weight forward taper Snowbee line.

Absolutely perfect.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

By the way Richard, the Walker Farnborough was probably the state of the art in terms of still water fly rods in it's day.

I used one for several years in South Africa until it was nicked.

Bernard Jackson

Reaction score
Thanks for the response i've let my option on this rod go, its always a great help input from fellow fly fishers when buying tackle without trying it first.
many thanks Bernard.