Northampton Fishing

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Looking for a mixed fishery suitable for someone who can't walk very far. Possible parking near peg and fish of a reasonable size. Looking for membership. Any ideas?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
What about Drayton, Boddington, or Clattercote reservoirs? Or Castle Asby Lakes?

You mention in your profile Willen, so you probably have a MK ticket, they are loads on their books that would probably provide fishing without too much of a walk.

Or ask in tackle shops about Castle Angling Club, or Nene Angling Club tickets.

If you go into a Northants tackle shop they should have a booklet called fishing in northamptonshire, which you should find helpful.

Don't know how far you are from Brackley, but theres a small town park lake their with friendly people, you can park on the road aprox 50yrs from the water.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Thanks Malc.
right you got an hour lol.
I use to fish willen and love to fish there but it's a pain in the arse literally sometimes lol. can be a walk and a half if you want to fish the south which i prefer. and if you night fish it theres probably an even chance you're only going to have half a car to go home in ,in the morning!! one of the bailiffs told me that the year before last his car was broke into 4 times while night fishing.!!!! as i like to aim for the tench and bream i personally prefer to fish for them at night we all know you can get them in the day . But the night can give you some cracking fish at times.And wondering if you can get home is a bit of a pisser when you're supposed to be enjoying yourself.
I thought of furzton nice place nice fish. Until, i heard about the bloke who had the sh-- kicked out of him and his tackle stolen at night , plus the bloke who had his rods nicked while he talked to a fellow angler in the day.Whats that leave oh yeh . this is a cracker Delapre lake northampton . fished this last year talking to 2 old old anglers and they told me they were fishing when 2 twats walked up behind them and asked them 'is this steering wheel yours mate' and threw it in the lake !!!! It was his by the way! got into his car and took the wheel for a so called laugh.
Where else 'Crescent lake 'lovely little place ,can't see your car as you're down a dip.And by the look of things a lot of anglers didn't hear anything when their cars were broken into it looks like. Going by the amount of broken glass on the floor.This is turning into a right whinge but let the people know sod it.!!.
I've sent an enquiry to Stanwick lakes to see what thats like and the safety and night fishing situation.
In general i like to fish for a mixture of species but like to aim at the tench and bream. Nothing against the odd carp but i don't like to set my stall out for them which i believe (not certain)that castle ashby mainly is. As for the reservoirs i dont know what they are mainly stocked with ? is it carp ?. I've got the guide for the midlands fisheries but the parking looks either dubious , on side of road or in car-park 300yards from where you fish.
It's just a big whinge i supopose , i just want somewhere safe to fish for decent fish and knowing that both myself and my car are going to get home in one piece after a session of enjoyable fishing ,catch or not , as long as its been enjoyable. O.K so i'm 48years old. haven't worked for 12 years because i was attacked on my own doorstep by unknowns for no reason, given brain damage and now things over the last few years have got worse society wise. Why is it i can't just go out for a nights or even days fishing without the thought of losing my car or tackle or worse.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your predicament Rik.

Where are you actually based, from what you say it seems somewhere between Northampton and Milton Keynes? I don't know Milton Keynes very well only the waters on the MKAA ticket, but as you say, many can be dodgy to say the least!!!

This site may help:

http://www.fishinginnorthamptonshire.co.uk/

I was born and bred in Northampton Rik, but moved to Daventry, and so have'nt fished the Northampton waters for many years, since I was a kid, apart from the odd occasion.

Disco stu

Reaction score
Rik, Im Northampton born and bred and only just moved out of the area. Ive joined the Wellingborough and District club, (?25 a year) They have some decent waters including 3 lakes at Ringstead where parking at your peg is permitted, weather permitting of course, seems not a bad set up, good carp water and night fishing is allowed.

Disco stu

Reaction score
There is a couple of members, Nick and Yoggy who may know more about Northampton fishing.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for the info gents. and stu i've just looked up the ringstead island complex . Looks pretty good perhaps i'll make it this years club and see how it goes. as i live in northampton it's not that far.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
hello there....yoggy is a whittlesey man and knows some cracking waters in and around his area and also like to venture out my way etc...
i live in corby,northants and although i tend to favour the nene now and its tributaries i have fished a few lakes,pits commercials etc....
rik,ringstead island is a cracking place to fish...you have two bloody huge lakes-barkers and brightwells,you have a cracking section of back brook there as well,there is also a section of the nene and there is also a match type lake.
next to ringstead island,you have ringstead grange trout fishery which is an excellent place for all you fluff flingers to visit.
opposite to this,you have a day ticket lake whos name escapes me,also there is a day ticket stretch of the nene at the mill which is packed with fish especially when the main river is in flood.also next to all this lot is kevin maddocks syndicate lake which held the brittish record carp.
down the road at denford there is some day ticket fishing on the nene where your cars are safe enough.at the top end of denford heading towards ringstead is a day ticket stretch that holds one hell of a shoal of bream!!!
next to the nene at thrapston there is day ticket fishing on three lakes and your cars are safe as well.
heading out northampton way....you could try lakeside at towcester,you need to ring up and book in advance here and they only allow six anglers a day on these lakes.
if its method feeder fishing etc that takes your fancy then you could try drayton resevoir,naseby resevoir,boddington resevoir or castle ashby etc...or nearer to northampton,how about billing aquadrome???
if its a private/family run fishery/lake you are after with safe secure parking and you dont get hassled by folk and if you are disabled,you can drive your tackle to your peg,weather permitting.then i can personally reccomend a place but it will cost ?100 a year to join.this is a really pleasant place to fish,i used to be a member and it has something for everyone.
someone mentioned buying a copy of fishing in northants,availiable in quite a few tackle shops and newsagents....i`,d reccomend this as its full of good fishing.if you have trouble finding a copy then let me know and i`ll send you my one free of charge ok....
any other questions,i`ll do my best to help...

Y

yoggy

Rik,as nick mentions [hello mate!!],i just live a little further up the A605 and know plenty of waters you could fish,without any hassle.If you`re interested email me and i`ll send you a list to try.

All the best.

David Naylor 3

Reaction score
Just giving WDNAC another mention. The gates are closed still to take your car to the big lakes (should be open when the ground dries out) however there is a car park at the new Mill Cotton Fisheries.
There's a silver fish pool and a canal style match pool with nearly all the pegs close to the car park and you can see your car from all the pegs.
For ?25 a year you can't go wrong

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Hi Dave,
in two minds now which one stanwicke or welli. what sort of size do the fish go to at welli do you know?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
rik....i used to work with a chap who bailiffs ringstead island.i spoke to him a couple of weeks ago about whats in the lakes,river etc... at ringstead island
in the big lakes you have---
carp 20lbs plus some over 30lbs
some big double figure pike
tench up to 10lbs
bream up to 10lbs+++
roach upto 2lbs+++
one of the lakes is quite vast so a lot of the fish probably have never seen a hook!!!
there is cracking roach sport to be had in the river lock type section...this area is very popular in the winter when the roach shoal up.
there is a weir section which i am told does hold some barbel and pike but there is only really a section of concrete bank to fish from here and most of the time i have seen lure fishermen standing here.
on the section of back brook there is chub upto 6lbs as well as some perch,roach,pike and the chance of a barbel perhaps???
on the main section of the nene which can be quite weedy in the summer and the flow almost non existant,i think a good prebaiting session is the order of the day here to bring in the bream,tench,carp etc...
personally i dont think alot of the big backbrook captures or river captures get reported,its mostly the carp and tench etc...from the two big lakes that you get to hear about.i was told by my bailiff mate that a 35 lber came out from one of the lakes about a month ago now i think it was....i think the lake was barkers?? the other is called brightwells.
almost forgot....there is a match type lake down there and i think they are digging some more if i`m correct.i`ll be honest and tell you that i havent personally fished there for a couple of seasons now but i will be rejoining in the next couple of weeks

BigRob

Reaction score
Ringstead is good fishing and there are some disabled pegs right in the card park.

maybe some of you can help me. I have the situation which some will think good and some bad.. My wife is well into fishing we go to ringstead as they have a kind of toilet thing there, and we go to, Castle Ashby as they have a toilet there too. we seem limited to going fishing where there is a loo for the Wife. does anyone have any good suggestions?

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
How about billing aquadrome??? Plenty of ponds andf lakes there plus a lavvie or two and of course the nene runs through the park as well.

My dad has had bream to 9lbs from the nene there!!!

paul shaw 2

Reaction score
rik,have you tried grendon lakes,not the most peaceful place but there are big carp,bream & tench.there,s about 8 lakes but i dont know about membership as i get day tickets.They have a website.

scoobystue

Reaction score
i hear that heyford fishery is to reopen tomorow,not sure how true this is though,that place used to be indcredible plus you dont have to walk to far to fish/forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifim going to take a trip over tomorow afternoon and find out what the score is,i shall report back if anyone wishes to know???