Sediment Collecting On Mainline

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Sitting with one of the lads yesterday he got talking about mainlines, saying how some lines collect the sediment in the waters more so than others, and can look like a length of rope hanging in the water after half an hour. Krystonite mainline seemed to be only one of the worst offenders, although the line its self is supposed to be more or less invisible, and Maxima in his opinion was one of the least offenders (a good old workhorse). Hence the reason he backleads to try to keep his mainline as close to the bottom as possible. It is all supposed to be how the line its self is made up, or what it is made of.

He was teling me of a certain water where the carp actually follow the line from the bank, because of the thick coating of sediment that some lines collect on them, out to where the hookbait and freebies are.
I had never given it any thought before.
Has anybody else got views on sediment collecting on mainlines?

I can't remember if this was covered in the Korda underwater video or not.

F

Frothey

it happens, if you're worried about it (im not!) give the rod a shake every now and then

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

That's right Frothey, give the rod a good tap and the sediment will fall off. It was only that the carp can see it and obviously know that there is food at the end of it, so I thought that this could leed to carp/tench spooking from lines.

A spray of Greased Lightening is supposed to help the problem, although I must admit it has never bothered me. But then again I never realised that sediment did collect on the line to that extent.

If the line is lying along the bottom it can only help matters, but it is when the line is at mid depth that I thought it could cause problems with fish seeing the line. I'm not really bothered but it is making me think more.

That's another green eyed monster floating about in me yead.

C

Cakey

sponge is better breamy......not so harsh on the line

I dont worry about it,carp see it on snags etc so they aint worried