Under the rod tip?

W

William

Main line when fishing under the rod tip, be it free line or float fishing, what do you prefer mono or braid? And why? Of course different swims may require a different approach but in general which do you favour for close in work

My self I tended to use 20lb power pro straight through, but I miss the extra elasticity of mono in some situations, so this year I?ve spooled up my centrepin with Krystonite ready for this years summers close quarters carping, It seems to have glowing reviews, is it wise choice for margin fishing?

Thanks!

ByNasty

Reaction score
I've been using 10lb krystonite for all my fishing this season william and really like it. Gardner GT80 is nice to, but i prefer the krystonite.

B

Big Rik

I much prefer mono for eyeball to eyeball fishing, that bit of a safety net that mono offers certainly means I've probably lost less fish than with braid, especially if you get a bit excited and there's the chance you might strike a bit too hard.

B

Budgie Burgess

Despite being a lover of braid I prefer mono for real close range stuff.It sinks better on a slack line and the stretch is helpfull on such a short line.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I've done a lot of margin fishing in my life.

Hook a carp close in and the first thing most of them do is to put as much distance between you and the bank in as short a time as possible, especially if they are fully scaled slim commons which can travel at a hell of a speed.

The only species I know in UK waters that can beat them for speed from a standing start is a good reservoir rainbow trout.

Make sure the drag on your reel is set correctly or they can break the line with a crack like a pistol shot.

And you are quite right to use a centrepin.

W

William

Thanks for your thoughts! Looking forward to see how the krystonite bares up this year!

As you say Ron, quite right to use a centrepin; hold with both hands and watch out for those knuckles! Total pleasure! And just about as exciting as it gets.

B

Budgie Burgess

Most of my margin fishing is done on a "hit and hold" basis so no line is given!

C

Cakey

Centre pin no way...............Shimano fightndrag for me with a 10% Bass Pro line

gather youve got snags Budgie ?

ps where you been,somewhere nice i hope

W

William

What do you have for a setup Budgie? Myself I use stepped up 11ft Harrison Avon 1.3/4lbtc for most margin fishing, and more often than not a degree of line is taken, well violently ripped would be more appropriate.

B

Budgie Burgess

Really soft (with age) 1 3/4lb Tricast with 15lb Maxima and the thickest wired hooks I can find! I generally pick the rod up and walk backwards!

Hi Cakey,been no where yet alone anywhere nice mate!just not been posting on here for some time. Yes plenty of snags,tends to be the reason I am fishing so close.

"Hit and hold" gets a lot of critisism these days.Damage to fish's mouths being the main reason......but what do people expect if they are using a 3lb+ TC rod and 30lb braid! With the "unbalanced" outfit of a heavy line (yes I still class 15lb as heavy for carp) and light rod you have no problem at all.The carp is given no line so builds up no speed and cant break the line.The soft rod flexing is the only give in the system and cushions the hook hold.I like a thick wired hook as not only does it not straighten but more importantly doesnt tear the flesh as easily.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

So you are a fighting drag enthusiast too Cakey.

So am I.

But have you noticed something?

Some of the latest reels do not have this feature. I am fearful that one of the best innovations in terms of fixed spool reel design - fighting drag and rear drag adjustment may be put on the scrap heap due to fashion and the disregarding of sound engineering and angling principles.

C

Cakey

yes i love mine and cant understand why they are not used more widely
long distance dont make alot of difference but margin and stalking i could not do with out it