Cat Meat

tony70

Reaction score
how can i get cat meat to stay on hook when casting

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Very difficult too cast anything but a short distance. What are you fishing for, what size, what sort od water, what range etc

tony70

Reaction score
fishing for caro at 20to 30 yards any size at 5ft deep

L

Les Clark

Tony , sorry about that ,but you asked for that .
Before the boilie could be brought in the tackle shops ,we used to make up a boilie mix with kit-e -cake ,weet-a-bix and eggs ,you could change the w/bix for whatever you want ,add 4to6 eggs ,mix and roll ,cut to what size you want and boil for about 90 sec`s ,do one mix at a time to see how it come`s out .

B

Bob Watson

Les :-0

It was a sensible enough question

Tony you might struggle to cast it that far, it's normally a bait associated with the pole. You could try making a stiff paste with it but why bother, there's pleny of other baits that'll catch without getting up to the eyes in potential cat sh*t

L

Les Clark

Or seeing that you are fishing at short range ,just knock it up has a stiff paste ,maybe useing ,cat food ,pastry mix and eggs ,what I do with pastes is put 3or 4 bits of maize on the hair and then wrap the paste around the maize ,it stays on firmer plus if the paste dissolves you still have the maize on has a bait .

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
You can get a bit more casting distance by hair rigging it. Put some rig tubing over the hair before threading the meat on, this stops the line acting like a cheesewire and cutting through the meat as easily. I use this method for luncheon meat too.

I also use a thick hair stop for the same reasons.

Another idea is once hair rigged (as above) place the entire rig in a pva bag with some dry or oil based freebies to protect the hookbait whilst casting.

F

freespiritboy

You could try preparing your rig as you would normally and dropping the whole lot into a pva bag. It should be o.k to cast as far as you like i would imagine.

B

Budgie Burgess

Being old and set in my ways! I would have to go along with Les and knocking it up in a paste.

Mind you just to prove an old dog can learn new tricks try one of those bait screws from Korum.Ive only used them for luncheon meat so far but would think that they would do the trick.They come in a couple of sizes in the same pack.

F

Frothey

my dad makes a paste with lidl cat food and dynamite amino black groundbait....and does fairly well on it.

the ashima hooks with a spring around it are worth a look.....

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
Does the spring hook make a significant difference to how well it holds paste baits. Do you think it would hold cat food better, usually put 2-3 chunks on the hook with a baiting needle.

L

Les Clark

I like to use a big lump of paste = to 2 x 14 mil boilies or more : 1) to keep the silver fish from takeing the bait .
2) to give the paste time to dissolve a tad ,Bits falling off ,flavour trail .