using google earth to track down secluded fishing spots

nicky

Reaction score
I sometimes like to fish secluded fishing spots that most people wouldn't bother with because they may be small ponds that may not hold specimens but sometimes it's nice to get away from all the hustle and bustle of club waters and have a bit of piece of quiet.
I thought i knew for all the local spots in my area but have just been told about a small pond in the middle of one of my local woodland areas which is common land, dont think hardly anyone fishes there but have been told there are definately roach and perch in there, sounds like bliss to me I'm going to jump on my bike and check it out in the coming week it should only take me about 20 mins to get there.
Whilst talkng to another angler about this place which he also hadn't heard of, he informed me of another pond with lilly pads and all, only a couple of miles away that somebody told him about, he was told that hardly anyone one knows about it, but he couldn't even find it himself, just scanned the area with google earth and think i've found it, looks lovely, there are a few farms near by so i may have to go and ask for permission wouldn't want to get in trouble, if i can get permission it looks like paradise to me. Fingers crossed

C

chris 2

Been walking with the dog today,walked past a old farm pond about 1 acre.Walked past it loads of times seen the odd small perch.Today on the surface seen some rudd pound plus if not bigger.I was absoultly gob smacked,stood there like a idiot for about 30 minutes just looking at this shoel of two dozen rudd.Not been fishing for about 8 weeks to busy.Iam of tommorow to see the bloke who owns the pond hopefully he will let me fish it.I dont think ive caught a rudd over half a pound before.Iam looking at a new pb first cast.Iam realy excited cant wait till tomorrow.

M

mark williams 4

The problem with Google Earth is that it hasn't got much of the UK in high resolution. The only way to get the Yanks to set the satellites on high-res would be to discover rich new fields of oil, then they'd have the whole place down to the nearest inch!

I might also add that the OS have almost every lake marked, and with the vital addition of the roads and place names, this makes a slightly better 'poachers guide' (did someone say poaching?)

nicky

Reaction score
the place i was looking at was at a reasonable resolution, only next time i think i'll print it off as i couldn't find the pond i was looking for after pedalling about on my bike for hours, only to have another look when i come home to find it was in the next field, plus what i thought was flat was all hills i was knackered by the time i got home