Snapped Hooks

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
went fishing last saturday,done quite good buti was snaped 4 times on the shank of the hook,that never happend before,any of you lot had this happen.took the hooks back to the shop,gave me soom new hooks.any tips on what type of hooks thats strong to use

Tony Hyland 2

Reaction score
size 16 cant think of hand the name of the hooks,chris have you had this happen to you

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

Don't wish to hark on about Walker, but he always used to buy a large packet (100) and test a few out of each packet.

If they were so hard they became brittle he'd throw them all in the bin.

D

Deecy ACA

If he was still alive he would be spending a fortune :)

C

Chris Bishop

I have had hooks break, uually it means they're over-tempered or made of brittle wire.

Usually it's been on a snag though I have had a few go hooking frozen baits on and once or twice on fish, usually it's hooks on lures, which I've straightened on snags and just bent back rather than replacing them.

The best thing to do is not skimp on hooks, find a reliable brand and stick with it.

A posting on here - can anyone suggest a good strong hook in whatever sizes you use - will usually get you all the info you need.

Try and be a bit more specific. If you fish for carp, for example, post in the Carp Forum.

If it's for other species give a bit more detail. What are you fishing for, what kind of water and what kind of gear are you using.

Good luck..!

B

Budgie Burgess

Chris is totaly right.Only hooks I ever had any problem with was years ago with some Drennan High Carbon trebles.No problem landing the fish but as soon as you got the forceps on them they would snap! My highly technical solution was never to buy them again!

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Try Drennan Super Spades or Kamasan Animals. You'll land battleships on them.
Cheap too 99p for 10.