Perch Colouring

little oik

Reaction score
I caught a small perch yesterday ,it was only about 4or 5 oz but it was the colour or lack of it that was brainer .It had no red on it at all no bars or fins .The stripes were a darker shade of green than the normal body colour .The lake in question is about 16ft deep max and a bog lake so dark water also has a lot of cabbage in the margins .
.Didnt know if it was down to the lake itself (see above )or is it a sport? Or is just a freak of nature ?
Never come across one before like this .Didnt know if you guys can shed any light on it

little oik

Reaction score
no zander in the emerald isle I had to take a series of double takes at it .I went to take a snap of it but no power in the camera .It was extremely weird to say the least .There were bars on its flanks however they were shades of green and the fins were how can I put this just clear and slightly opaque if that makes sense .
I have found out that some Perch, if they live in deep and murky water don't always have the red bars but they have at least a hint of red in the fins :confused:

little oik

Reaction score
thanks for the replies .I have caught plenty of tench ranging from orangey (not golden Tench) through to nearly black ones but this was the first Strange Perch that I have come across .

flightliner

Reaction score
Had a few like you describe at Ladybower res when fly fishing for trout, the water is extremely deep and has a peaty coloured run off from the high hills around, ugly little devils.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Fish that are in dark, deep water or hidden under structures or even at night will sometimes stop producing the chenicals that cause it to colour up in order to save energy. I once noticed this when I switched the tropical tank on one night from pitch black and the clown loach we had was almost white. I asked the local shopkeeper if that was right and that is what he told me. It must happen in all fish as last year I caught a pike of 16lbs that was so pale you'd have thought it had a sick note and I reckon it had come from under a landing stage where it had been dark.