It's the Vibes man!

geoffmaynard

Content Editor
Reaction score
On another thread Barbelboi said

"As we all know water transmits sound quite effectively. Those of us who pursue wild fish i.e. river fish will know exactly what I mean. With electronic bite alarms, I used to fish the Yately complex from time to time and other water whilst with RMC/Cmex, I noticed that most anglers used bite alarms and during to many periods of inactivity would (for want of a better word) play with their alarms for whatever reason. This used to p**s us quiter folk off but surely this was to their disadvantage by sending a signal (at the speed of sound) charging down their mono directly to their rig and scaring the sh one t out of every carp in the proximity."

And it's worth debating again on it's own thread IMHO. Because I think line does transmit vibrations. Even if they are insignificant to us, to a fish it could could be like banging a gong. What do you think?

barbelboi

Reaction score
Firstly I don't want to start world war three with carp anglers and, although I fish for most species including carp, (also I have many good friends who are dedicated carp anglers and and I have the utmost respect for the way they fish and thats not because a large percentage are big fellers - it's just not for me to use alarms) It seems that from the sheer popularity of carp fishing and the many it attracts, it is inevitable that there are going to be more (calling a spade a shovel) 'carp anglers' on show on the bank than allrounders. Cutting the waffel and to the point of sound transmission - is it just me or do the ones that continually play with their alarms, including when they are tightening up after casting, tend to blank more often than other more tactfull and considerate carp anglers by sheer bad luck?

Morespiders

Reaction score
Firstly I don't want to start world war three with carp anglers and, although I fish for most species including carp, (also I have many good friends who are dedicated carp anglers and and I have the utmost respect for the way they fish and thats not because a large percentage are big fellers - it's just not for me to use alarms) It seems that from the sheer popularity of carp fishing and the many it attracts, it is inevitable that there are going to be more (calling a spade a shovel) 'carp anglers' on show on the bank than allrounders. Cutting the waffel and to the point of sound transmission - is it just me or do the ones that continually play with their alarms, including when they are tightening up after casting, tend to blank more often than other more tactfull and considerate carp anglers by sheer bad luck?
19 post and your causing trouble already:D:D:D

PS Keep it up, Im on your side:D

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
There are so many you shouldnt do this, shouldnt do that's in fishing, I am not sure many if any are right.

Dont shout, stamp on the bank, etc etc, yet i have seen all these things happen and still anglers catch. I am not saying that line does or doesnt transmit any sound or vibration, just sometimes it may put fish off and sometimes it may not, if it does transmit anything.

It's like the so called perfect conditions, what are they, and how come 9 out of 10 times you blank on these so called perfect days.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Don't start me on noise , I just wish those match anglers would keep quiet , on commercials , when their matches have finished , God forbid you make a noise when the match is on , but when the whistle blows ( yes whistle ) it seems perfectly fine to shout all kinds of obsenities across to your mate in the car park , even though other people are still fishing , I wish match anglers would talk to each other down their fishing line , bite alarms would be the least of my worries.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Water transmits sound far better than air - air is elastic, and the signal quickly fades, whereas water is incompressible, so the signal is preserved much better.
This is one of the reasons fish only need tiny pits in their lateral line scales to detect vibrations, rather than big sticky-out ears ( other reasons include the ability of the swimbladder to act as a sound detector, the presence of a chain of bones, "Weberian Ossicles", iirc, linking the swim-bladder to the inner ear, and the evolutionary disadvantage of trying to accelerate in a viscous medium with big, draggy ears and a ruddy great pike on your tail).
Didn't the entire Uptide Boatcasting thing come about because people suspected their lines were humming in the tide, and repelling fish from the traditional fishing area downtide of the boat?

And yet...

Tench in a dragged swim almost before you've sat down; rattling pike lures; roach homing in on the sound of hempseed hitting the water, and carp to that of boilies... or fleeing...

Some sounds repel fish, some attract, many do both, depending on context.
It's almost worth taking a violin bow and serenading them, if you have a private lake or a very thick skin.

laguna

Reaction score
Vibrations?
I introduced a mate of mine to fishing 2 years ago and he just loves it!
He's no spring chicken and says he wished he had taken it up as a kid and as such is eager to learn buying all the DVD's, reading and talking about everything angling related and has become quite a proficient all-rounder - if not a little unorthodox :eek:

He read or heard suggesting that pike respond to the distress of dying or injured fish and that they home in on the vibrations.. ok that's all very well but, he really should keep his ideas to himself sometimes.

I walked up the canal spinning one day last winter towards where he was fishing a static dead bait. He had his rod set up on rests with a drop indicator and a towel over the handle. I didn't think much about it at first, probably just assumed the towel would be handy just hanging there ready - even if on a take it might get in the way?

But then I noticed he had a tight line with the bail closed too :confused:
When I asked him what the score was, he simply replied... "touch the handle"!

He repeated "touch the handle" Chris!

Not knowing why he wanted me to touch the handle I leaned down and touched the handle where the towel was draped and WOW! :eek::eek::eek: I was electrocuted!

Or so I thought...
I did it again :eek::eek: holy s**t! what the hell was that?

He lifted the towel to reveal (after checking nobody was around)... a very large, super sized VIBRATOR! taped and furiously buzzing away like a good un on the rod :eek:mg:

Did he catch?
Yes actually he did catch a small jack a couple of hours later but by this time the batteries had ran out!

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
Vibrations?
I introduced a mate of mine to fishing 2 years ago and he just loves it!
He's no spring chicken and says he wished he had taken it up as a kid and as such is eager to learn buying all the DVD's, reading and talking about everything angling related and has become quite a proficient all-rounder - if not a little unorthodox :eek:

He read or heard suggesting that pike respond to the distress of dying or injured fish and that they home in on the vibrations.. ok that's all very well but, he really should keep his ideas to himself sometimes.

I walked up the canal spinning one day last winter towards where he was fishing a static dead bait. He had his rod set up on rests with a drop indicator and a towel over the handle. I didn't think much about it at first, probably just assumed the towel would be handy just hanging there ready - even if on a take it might get in the way?

But then I noticed he had a tight line with the bail closed too :confused:
When I asked him what the score was, he simply replied... "touch the handle"!

He repeated "touch the handle" Chris!

Not knowing why he wanted me to touch the handle I leaned down and touched the handle where the towel was draped and WOW! :eek::eek::eek: I was electrocuted!

Or so I thought...
I did it again :eek::eek: holy s**t! what the hell was that?

He lifted the towel to reveal (after checking nobody was around)... a very large, super sized VIBRATOR! taped and furiously buzzing away like a good un on the rod :eek:mg:

Did he catch?
Yes actually he did catch a small jack a couple of hours later but by this time the batteries had ran out!

did he buy the vibrator or borrow it from a female?

quickcedo

Reaction score
Fish like all animals learn by association. If they associate a noise with a good thing then they are drawn to it and of course the opposite is true. I am convinced of this. Re the noise after matches. I go to my local commercial deliberately on match days, I sit and wait for the noise as they finish and watch the fish. The fish associate this noise with "it's safe to get your head down" and I mop up. The oposite is true with the vibration on high set rods when Barbel fishing. I am convinced this sends noise/vibration to the bottom, and as every man Jack and his uncle now fish this way for Barbel they associate this noise with danger.

bennygesserit

Reaction score
Mark

That must be why at 3 O clock on one place I fish the carp come in like clockwork to the margins - never thought of that !

quickcedo

Reaction score
My favourite trick on these commercials is, at around match finish time (whether there has been a match or not) I chuck loads of bait into the margin, just as i would if I'd finished fishing. Nothing subtle about this. The fish come in, in droves. Mop up time.
Double association. Time and loads of food in one go.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Didn't the entire Uptide Boatcasting thing come about because people suspected their lines were humming in the tide, and repelling fish from the traditional fishing area downside of the boat?

The general feeling at the time was that; the tide running past the anchor rope caused the hull of the boat to act as a sound box and caused fish to stay clear of the area directly or close by the hull. The up side (no pun intended) Was that by casting 30 metres or so away from the side of the boat you were in fact casting into a super abundant area, as this area would contain the fish that were there naturally and also those trying to avoid the sound from the boat. Did it work? Well it seemed to for me.

What you also have to consider is that where this technique appeared most successful was in fairly shallow waters where any noise would have maximum effect.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I believe there is a number "rule" aswell. The learning by association can become confused within animals if you play the numbers game. Why don't maggots as a bait blow. Because the fish eat so many between being caught that they don't associate the bait with being caught. This of course applies to any bait which is fed en masse.
Now if anyone could work out what the ratio is...............

laguna

Reaction score
wives were not mentioned in my post which was meant in a lighthearted way, im sorry if you chose not to take it in that way.

Are wives not generally female ex or otherwise? why do you think I took you the wrong way? I understood your question to be lighthearted... dont worry, be happy!