Tips for Avington

Joskin

Reaction score
I havent cast a fly for around 3 years now but my cousin has booked us in for a days fishing at Avington witch i think is near winchester.

Has anyone got any tips for me on what fly to use etc.
Any help is much appreciated.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Try and get hold of Peter Cockwill's book - Fishing for Big Trout.

Also try and get hold of the last few issues of Trout Fisherman.

It's not so much the fly you use Ross, but the way it is fished. You need polarised specs and a wide brimmed hat. Most of the flies used are heavily weighted nymphs. The little shop at Avington should have a few of these types of flies.

Much of these lakes is bordered by trees so forget long distance casting. You must stalk your fish.

Good luck.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
Walker's mayfly nymph is a very good general purpose fly, as are the various damsel patterns, but be careful with the latter you don't exceed the maximum hook size/fly length regulations; some of the so-called damsels are nothing more than lures.

Leaded stalking bugs, gold-head hares' ears etc are great for pinpoint, induced-take style fishing to visible trout lying deep, but are nowhere near so versaltile as the mayfly nymph. Pheasant tail nymphs are a good standby if there are any rising fish, and a selection of buzzer patterns is pretty useful too.

Don't whatever you do just walk up to the first bit of water you see and start casting; you'll be back home inside half an hour with a brace of four-pounders that way. Take your time and search out the better fish; having found one, concentrate on ambushing it at a point on its travels where you stand a good chance of landing it.

And make sure you use strong hooks and a minimum of 6lb leader point.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
I'm fishing there all day tomorrow so will let you know how I get on..

Cheers

Rich

P.S I've heard exactly the same about the 4lbers. If you cast out and strip a law these fish will nail it straight away! I'll happily have one of these to start with then try for the bigger stuff.

P.P.S I also understand there is a stretch of Itchen Carrier. Looking forward to that as much aanything else!

R

The clarity of the water, if you have not fished there before will astound you. Avington is also deeper than it looks.

The trout will actually look smaller than what they are.

Fred's advice is spot on, but the past masters at fishing this water were **** Walker and Pete Cockwill. Many of Walker's big fish were taken by simply lowering a weighted nymph into the water.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
I do wonder when you here about people stalking a fish for a number of hours if its simply a case of getting a fly at the right depth, right in front of a moving fish that generally opens and closes its mouth to breath and hoping your hook gets sucked in with the water intake. I'm sure this is the case sometimes.

R

It probably is Richard.

I used to fish a crystal clear dolomite based lake in the Mpumalanga Drakensberg. The brownie in my photo came from the river feeding this lake.

In the lake I had rainbows to 9lbs which would swim past you and take a lowered nymph. The depth at which you intercepted the fish was critical.

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I haven't fished Avington for about five years, but the trout used to be very fond of Walker's mayfly nymph. The trout in Meon Springs certainly like them at this time of year - even when no adults are hatching. If you tie your own (as you should) they will hang almost vertically in the water; fished almost motionless and allowed to sink slowly, the trout just cruise up and take them with the utmost confidence. They are easy to see as well.

Of course, if you go out and buy your flies you'll like as not end up with something vaguely cream coloured with a great big gold bead head; these don't work nearly as well.

R

Quite right Fred.

Personally I cannot recommend any commercial operation that sells flies these days.

I forget the times I meet anglers who are struggling for a fish and then look at the gross commercial horrors they have at the end of their leaders.

Take the damsel fly for example. The way some suppliers have these tied gives me the impression that whoever has tied some of them has never seen a real damsel fly nymph.

And that is true of course.

I am told that amateur fly tying is a dying art. Most fly fishers don't have the time to sit down of an evening to tie a few flies, which when they get the hang of it, are far superior to the shop bought item.

Occasionally you do get a few really good tiers selling their wares to the market place. But because of reasons well known to many, their flies can cost between 3 and 5 times more than those peddled by the retailers which are invariably tied in some obscure African Banana Republic sweatshop by people who do not even understand what they are doing.

My recommendation to any fly fisher who does not tie his own flies is to find a good semi-professional who is also a first class angler. People like Andy Wright (RHS) for instance.

But I am told that even these people are a dying breed.

As long as we have the many Joe Soaps amongst budding fly fishers that we do, who demand the cheapest no matter what, we will have even greater decreptitude entering into the trout fly retail market.

Joskin

Reaction score
Cheers guys sounds like Ive got plenty of superb advise as usual from this site.

I look forward to hearing how you got on Richard.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Just got back after a superb session at Avington. Had three rainbows: 7lb 12oz, 7lb 8oz and 5lb 8oz. All taken on mayfly nymphs and stonefly nymphs. Also lost two bigger fish (possibly double figures) on a big piece of weed. Fished with a four weight all day and a 6lb leader. In hind sight could have gone heavier. Would recomend 8lb straight through. There are some huge trout there, but go soon, the weed is already beginning to grow and I envisage in a months time will be a real problem.

The best part of the day for me though was the perch fishing, the margins are chockablock with shoals of perch, averaging 8 ounces and some are over two!! I had half a dozen on small weighted nymphs jigged in front of their noses in the margins on a three weight, Great sport and really helps to bulk out your day.

The fishing is not that easy and predictions and recomendations were spot on, depth is critical! Also once you've got a small fish under you belt to start then only target the bigger fish.

Although its ?60 I think its a fair price. The fish are huge and in great condition, full tails etc, you can fish the carrier for the wild browns, sit in a great lodge over looking the lake and fish all day.

Get there early, they start to wise up in afternoon.

Cheers

Rich

R

I visited Avington in '76. It was run by Sam Holland then. I had two fish - 13lbs and 11 1/2 lbs. I took out a 1/2 day two fish permit.

It was quite an experience and next time I am down in Hants I would love to have another go.

Glad that you got 3 nice fish Rich. And yes, I agree, your tackle was a little under-gunned. The perch look interesting and a nice one was shown in Trout Fisherman recently.

When I got back home I recieved a letter from **** Walker wanting to know if I could act as an agent for Sam Holland in terms of getting his strain of rainbow trout introduced to South Africa.

I made enquiries but it was darned impossible due to import restrictions.

R

Did you get any photos by the way Rich?

Joskin

Reaction score
Sounds great.

We are booked in on the 19th May so the weed could well be on its way by then.

R

Richard

Why not write an article entitled: "A Day on Avington" and send it to Graham. I am sure he would be delighted to recieve it.

And I shall look forward to reading it.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
Hi Ron,

I've just had some photos across and will try and pen an article soon.

Cheers

Rich

R

I have just spoken to Pete Cockwill by the way who is the absolute master when it comes to catching the big fish of Avington and Dever Springs.

His book - "Fishing for Big Trout" is long out of print. But he is in the process of updating the book which will be out this autumn. This is going to be an essential read for all who want to catch big fish in small clear waters.

Joskin

Reaction score
Well it was a good day out but was fishing very hard with many anglers blanking that day and the previous few days. The waters were not very clear with only fish visible in the shallow end of lake 1. I managed to land two at 5lb 8oz and 4lb 4oz. I started off in the morning by pulling the fly away from several smaller fish but regretted doing so as I only ended up with 2. I lost one much bigger fish to 8lb leader and soon changed to 12lb. Two of my friends blanked and the other two had fish to a similar size as mine. Most of our fish were taken on bare hooks simply painted red to resemble a blood worm.