Fishing Monument

J.B

Reaction score
Hi I am going to fish The Monument Carp Fishery in the Midlands on the 24th & 25th of July has anyone fished it and have you got any tips e.g what size lines hooks and hooklinks etc basically your experiances of this fishery it looks great and me and a freind are hoping to make our p.bs more respectable there.

Also has anyone got a peg layout for this pool as we will be fishing pegs 1 and 2 but I cant find owt on there web site.

B

Budgie Burgess

You can come and have a practice on my live bait tanks if you want,very similar just a bit more natural.......er the tanks that is!

Ah well each to their own!

P

pons

JB,
Have you ever been there,Budgie ?

I have ,often, in my work capacity.

What is it you are trying to say ?

email me JB,and I will tell you what I know,and include a phone no.
By the way,it's full of huge fish,not easy,and brings a chance of a serious fish to anyone who buys a ticket,and cannot get on a super dooper 30s runs water,which is most of us.
There is no litter,bad behaviour,and every peg has an unhooking mat and landing net,and Sam will always take quality catch shots for the anglers.
They are all comfortable pegs,and showers ,loos,and cafe and lodge on site.
Safe,locked in car parks,and grassy banks and reeds allround the fishery make for a very pleasant time.
In my opinion ,Rob Hales has brought a chance for anyone to catch a whacker,on a day ticket,and should be applauded.
Pons.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Sorry Chris, each to their own and all that, but in my opinion, its an overstocked puddle, full of imported French carp.

Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against French carp - I go to France 2 or 3 times a year to catch them!!!!

**EDIT**

Quote:

"The 9 acre lake at The Monument fishery has 15 pegs, which are drawn for each day.
The Monument holds 300 carp of which 200 are over 20lbs and at least 25 fish are over 30lbs. The lake also holds at least 4 fish over 40lbs."

300 carp in 9 acres - No thanks. Not interested in the numbers game!

F

Frothey

not fussed about it either way, just so as people dont have really high expectations....normally 5-8 fish out per day to 15 anglers (of which a couple land one or two) - also the night fishing can make the figures look better than they are.

not really the runs water some of the mags portray.....

Malc Bason

Reaction score
JB. I hope you enjoy your visit to the place, I sincerely do.

But a lot of controversy surrounds the Monument and other 'instant' carp fishery's.

Buy/rent land, hire diggers, dig big hole, fill with water, fill with very large carp = Kerching!!!

There will always be differing views on such places, and it is not my wish really to pour scorn over what you are trying to achieve.

Frothey, I think we have to look at the type of angler that is attracted to the Monument? I don't mean any disrespect to JB or anyone else who wants to or has fished there. A better quality, more seasoned angler will more than likely have a better catch ratio than someone with less experience.

But often, at such places: Just turn up, pub-chuck to wherever - it doesn't matter where because the stocking levels are that high they are never going to be far from the fish, and bang they are into a big fish.

No planning is involved, no watercraft is involved, basically just turn up!

I have also looked at the catch reports, and during the summer months I have seen reports of 40 fish being caught. Between 5 and 8 fish a day were often being caught through the winter months!

As I've said each to their own, and I don't mean disrespect to those who enjoy themselves there, fair play to them. But its an instant water that attracts instant carp anglers.

F

Frothey

if you read carefully it is per week....;)

there are actually some decent anglers fishing it....

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Yeah, ok frothey - but do you really, hand on heart, believe this place or anywhere like it, actually does anything for the future of carp Angling in this country?

I know I don't!

F

Frothey

the statement that did it for me was (sorry jason)

"me and a freind are hoping to make our p.bs more respectable there."

i'm not sure most would be that impressed if you said your pb was from somewhere like monument/monks/wintons/etc....and does it matter about pb's anyway (especially if you've not been angling long)? the mags have a lot to answer for......

a thread on cemex - a company that has a lot of big fish in their waters - asked what a big carp is, and the concensus was 25lb is still a biggy....

F

Frothey

i see those waters as a bit of fun malc, nothing else - i'd probably go myself for a social. if people cant catch big fish locally and want a biggy, fine, just as long as they dont then think they've achieved anything other than catching a larger fish (if you know what i mean) - whether theres any merit to it is another thing....

L

little Stu!

Interesting topic girls........

The +'s for me: I would love to buy a piece of land, design and sculpt it to my own liking, add some real sexy features, fill it in with water and big carp and fish it til my hearts content. And how I'd laugh my tits off when I invited my close buddies to crack a beer and fish alongside of me and they retort "naa Stu, out of principle im not fishing there cos they've got hight backs" -TOSH!!!

The -'s starving a fishery to satisfy anglers isn't a great way to do it and fish care shouold be paramount. I understand it's expensive, but compare it toa syndicate over the course of a season etc, it can't be all bad can it?

PS - Frothey, "i'd probably go myself for a social.", you'd need friends to do that mate......but its ok, I'll volunteer!

F

Frothey

stu - thats why i said "go myself" rather than "go with friends"

funny how some people that moan about the commercials "high backed fish" also fish for simmo's though!

B

Big Rik

I have views on Simmo's that I can't publish.

Saviour of English carp?

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Clue?

E

EC

I have to admit ignorance about these 'simmos'! Not that i fish for carp that often, however they have just been stocked into a club water I frequent.

Are these
a) French fish brought into the country?

b)'English' fish but from a french gene pool?

c) Non (get it) of the above?

Please feel free to educate/patronise as appropriate!

B

Big Rik

All Simmo fish and all the fish stocked in the Monument are pure home bred English fish.............

P

pons

Actually ,it's a lot harder than you may imagine,many very good anglers fish it,and the nights were intoduced because no one was catching during the day !

Matt and Mick have struggled there filming in the past,and they had the water to themselves.

That said the water is permanently coloured in summer from feeding fish.

Yes,the fish do all look like simmo clones,with very few scales,but certainly will bring a smile to any lucky captor,pretty much like any other venue in that respect.

It's not my cup of tea really,but I have no problem with anyone else enjoying their time there,and lets face it,most of us fish much lower stock venues and drink tea by the bucket load,waiting for that one toner.

When my resolve fails ,and I need a bend in the rod,I push of up to my local canal and catch a few crazy Carp,hellbent on destruction in the reeds,nothing large but fun and very cheap.

Lets face it the tunnel has brought imports by the Transit van load,as well as the ubiquitous Simmos,so love them or loathe them,they are here to stay.
Pons.

B

Budgie Burgess

I thought that would stir things up a bit!

No Chris Ive not fished there,and have no intention of.I dont need to have fished there to know all about it and others of its ilk.

I dont know or really care if the fish are English,French,Australian or what ever.What I do no and do care about is that none of them have been born and grown in the water!

I think the UK carp scene in general has suffered from a "cheapening of values" over the last decade or so and waters like this IMO just add to this.

I wont bother going into the "instant" side of it as others have all ready covered it.

I hope JB and his mate enjoy them selves.I hope they catch some good fish.I also hope that they can put it all in to perspective and realise that some of the smaller fish they have caught up to now maybe far more meritous than any new "PB's" their trip may produce.

Might not agree with me Chris and thats your perogative but I have made my veiw known and its pretty consistant with my veiws over the years.Yours seem to swing on this thread alone more than a bream anglers bobbins!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Good luck JB, it's not my cup of tea, but hey!
One small question I would like to ask, hopefully without upsetting our carp boys. Why are you all criticising the Monument, but are heading off to France to catch large freshly stocked carp?
Isn't it he same as the Monument?
Bigger I know, but basically the same?

B

Big Rik

isn't that the thing to do?

I think that Budgie summed it up well enough with his 'cheapening of values' line.

I'm not cheapening anything caught in the UK by catching French fish in France.

An instant catching a stocked 30 or 40 doesn't make them suddenly a good angler, they've just managed to catch a stocked 30.
But some seem to think that being able to catch that fish quickly makes them some kind of carp guru.