Good multi-purpose carp rod

Andy S

Reaction score
Hi all, i'm thinking of buying a rod primarily to use as a marker rod. Do you think a normal carp rod would be up to the job as opposed to a purpose made 'marker rod'?

I was thinking of getting say a 3.5lb test curve carp rod thus allowing me to chuck out big 4oz leads for feature finding. Then maybe clipping on a spod to get some food out their before finally putting a bait on it and casting out.

Can anybody recommend a good rod say around ?70? OR do you think i'm best getting specific rods for each task ie marker\spod rods. Any help appreciated, cheers.

B

Big Rik

A stiff 3.5 wont be any use as a marker rod.
Much too stiff and you wouldn't 'feel' any bottom contours through it.

Andy S

Reaction score
Rik do you reckon i'd be best off getting a purpose made marker rod then of about 3.5lb. Or maybe a lower TC carp rod but then i'd probably struggle casting 4oz leads. To be honest i've no idea how any carp rods feel with a heavy lead as the strongest rod I currently own is a 1.75lb Avon.

Is 3.5lb about average for a marker rod? I know their tips are specially designed to be more sensitive. I've read somewhere that rather than using the rod to retrieve the marker its much better to use your hands and pull the braid in, feeling with your fingers. Have you ever tried this?

B

Big Rik

I don't know anybody that makes a 3.5lb marker rod, most are about 2.75 ish.

If I'm not putting out large amount, then I clip up my marker and spod with it, I just use smaller spods.

I don't know where you read about pulling braid through your fingers, I don't and wouldn't.
That's why you have the sinsitive tip, to feel the bottom with.

T

Terry D

Use a normal carp rod of about 2.5 - 2.75lb for your marker work and buy a specific rod for for your spod work.

Andy S

Reaction score
cheers fellas thats very helpful. I've only really looked at one marker rod and that was the new ESP one which is 3.5TC so thats probably skewed my thinking. But it looks like I could get away with using a lighter rod which suits me better. So i'll look out for a good carp rod around 2.75lb. How would this cope with 4oz leads?

The pulling the marker in by hand thing, I read on the following website:
http://www.firstlinetackle.co.uk/Articles/using_a_marker_rod.htm
it's by Ken Townley. I've read a few of his articles on Betaine etc.. in CF and he seems very knowledgable. Anyway cheers again.

B

Big Rik

and that's where you got the 4oz lead from.

I'd say that article is a good 8 to 10 years old.

One of the largest marker floats around, the big Solar Thunderbird is geared up for a 3oz lead.

You don't need 4oz, 3 is more than adequate, providing you don't pull back too vigorously.

Either a minesweeper or clock style 3oz lead will transmit back anything through braid and will be more than you require for marker work.

Fox Rangemaster 2 in 2.75 or 3lb. (?50)
Or go for a dedicated marker rod. (?75+)

Andy S

Reaction score
cheers again. That marker float article was spot-on and it confirmed I can buy just one rod for the time being. I'll check out the fox rods you've mentioned Rik.

P

paul williams 2

How over rated at finding "small holes in weed" is this method?........finding weed and different bottom make up yes, but finding a small hole in an underwater jungle........i don't think so?

B

Budgie Burgess

I personally wouldnt (er indeed I havnt!) bother buying a "Spod" rod. Even the cheapest are around ?50. Ive always found a beachcaster to do the job better.You can pick up one for a lot cheaper than a "spod rod" All you need from the rod is the ability to casta heavy weight nothing more nothing less.Ive even got an old Daiwa DF90 beachfishing fixed spool reel I use with it.Its job once again being merely to be capable of casting a large weight a long way.

I really dont see that a specific spod rod and reel will help me empty a water just my wallet! Jeeze even seen a ?150 Spod rod and ?150 Spod reel advertised recently....

As for marker/feature finding Ive always used one of my spare "normal" carp rods.Getting used to "reading" the bumps and knocks on any rod regardless of TC or action is the real secret and only practice will give you this you cant buy it.My only concession is that I prefer the finer tips and faster action of a fast taper rod to transmit the information (er via braid but with a mono shock leader).Never bothered with any of these purpose made leads or marker floats either.Once again experience and practice will give you this not buying yet another piece of gear.

Feature/depth finding and acurate casting/baiting up is certainly an extremely important aspect of carping (in fact fishing in general)but I think that specific "marker"/"spod" rods are just taking advantage of the "must have it to look the part/because so and so reccomends it" mentality of modern carping.

Mind you Im lucky enough to have plenty of spare rods to choose from for these jobs.If you havnt then fine buy a job specific rod but the point Im trying to make is that you dont have to and they will be no substitute for skill.

B

Budgie Burgess

Sorry just noticed a mistake! I always use a mono shock leader for spodding but use braid direct for leading/depth/feature finding.Dont quite know what happened there!

Andy S

Reaction score
cheers budgie, i've actually now decided to buy a Shimano Beastmaster 2.75TC rod with markings on it for depth finding.

Like you've said I think its just the industry trying to think up more ways for us anglers to part with our cash.

B

Budgie Burgess

Andy,on the subject of feature finding.

The best/quickest way to learn how to "lead" is if you have a relatively shallow water that is SAFE for you to get into with either chest waders or swimming trunks.

Cast out and retrieve a lead for half an hour or so and try and build up a picture of the swim through the vibrations,tugs and plucks on the rod tip.Then get in the water and actually feel and see whats there.Get out and have a few more chucks with the lead.This will help you be able to interpret the information that the leading has/can given you,thus speading up the learning process.

Remember safety first though and its always best policy to not get in to the water on your own.Have a mate on the bank just in case.

U

unknownforce

Save yourself money and get a 2.75 hyperloop. great soft rod and although it doesnt have a meausure, you dont need one. basically if you pull one stretch of line through your fingers, this is one. it doesnt matter if its one foot, one sausage (i think i nicked this from fat matt hayes) or one onion, whatever, as long as you pull the same each time (which is alweays going to be approx a foot anyway with the way you hold a rod and reel

so an area to your right near the island might be 7 bags of kittens, while the feature a bit further on, just in front of the snag could be 5 bags, etc.

Does this make sense?

B

Budgie Burgess

Does to me mate! Have never been able to understand the need for markings on a "feature finding" rod for the very same reasons you give.

F

Frothey

nothing that cant be achieved with a ruler and a bit of sticky tape either!

B

Budgie Burgess

But it wouldnt match the other whippings on the rod.......................and "proper" carp boys would mock you for not having a real marker rod............you would be a MUPPET!/NODDY!

Andy S

Reaction score
HAHA, i'm with you on that one. I'll also have a look at the hyperloop. Thanks again for the tips they've been very helpful