Novice Piker

M

Margot Twine

I am going to pembrokeshire next month and would like to have a try at pike fishing can any one suggest any venues. Also are there any articles on the web that would be helpful for a complete novice with advice on rigs, bait etc.

D

Del Jarman

The best advice I think anybody can give you when you first start pike fishing is to go with an experienced piker. It can save you AND the Pike a lot of grief.

Del.

C

Chris Bishop

Get the PAC book - great introductory stuff on rigs etc by Dave Batten, you can get it for ?6 from Harris.

Dave B's also published a book called a beginner's guide to pike fishing or something like that.

P

Paul Williams

As for a Pembrokshire venue try Bosherton lakes....even Sedge caught there!!.....well he is back today so i aint talking behind his back :eek:)

D

Dave Silvers

I know everyone has to start somewhere, but PLEASE heed Del's advice its the best you'll ever get.
Before even thinking about rigs and traces you need to be armed with unhooking tackle,
12 inch forceps, long nose pliers and wire cutters are a minimum requirement. Not to mention a glove if your'e not too sure about putting your fingers inside the the gill cover. Again please be careful, not for your sake but for the pike's. The gill rakers inside are very easily damaged. Also don't forget the unhooking mat. Don't let this put you of for the adrennalin rush after catching a pike isi better than with any other fish.
Good Luck.
Also check out the PAC (Pike Anglers Club) website for more information