Croyde Bay

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
We were camping at Croyde four years ago, my son (16) had his best mate with him. They met up with some girls, who were staying on the posh side (Burrows) anyway, it was gone midnight and no sign of them.
So me and my mate went looking for them, we did the full circuit of the beach in the dark! No joy, so we went back to the tent. At around 1.30am they turned up, with two girls. They had been skinny dipping and it went wrong! One of the girls got in trouble in the water, she got pulled out, pitch black, she couldn't see a thing. Mike, my sons best friend went out after her, luckily for both of them they got back in.

It could have ended up a tragedy, I am a lucky parent!

Croyde might look pretty, but it's dangerous, be warned!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
I had a mucho-cheepo Sun Holiday there a few years back (prob 6?) nice caravan site there just a couple of minutes walk to the beach

Very nice caravan, brand new that year, and that was early season.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I've stayed in a caravan in the Lake District.

F

Frothey

croyde is probably the best beach break in the uk, and on its day, one of the best in europe.

mainly because of its sand bars

but then the sand bars also give it mega rip tides (and great fishing!), and it only takes a couple of foot of swell to create some real problems for people. even when its flat calm, on a big tide people get into difficulty - one minute its ankle deep, the next step you're upto your waist and heading down the beach

none of this would be a problem if people did what the lifeguards say, but then we all know that they are only there to ruin peoples fun arent they.....

last year we had a few days where the beach was red flagged and parents were still letting their kids play in the sea with inflatable dinghy's! and then bitching at the lifeguards who told them to get the feck out of the water.....but then who will be the first to be blamed when one of their kids drown.....and we do get a few fatalities every year.

but croyde's way too busy these days (unless you're up at 5 for a quick one before work!), i tend to go to saunton and walk up the beach away from the crowds....bloody townies (lol!)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Wise words Frothey, it is dangerous.
Totally agree about the stupid parents, where's Jonny gone?

Have you been to Polzeth (spelling?) Frothey?
It's big in October, but cold!

C

Cakey

you aint seen surf until you go to Biarritz
the french call it the surf capital of the world
i lost a days fishing there i was totally blown away by the surf,the surfers and the surfing babes

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
When I went to the lakes it

Rained, then Snowed, then Rained, then thawed, and the subject that had everyone talking was

"I wonder if we'll see Malc Bason this year"

C

Christian Tyroll

Cakey i went to a little town near Biarritz (bayonne) and they were holding the world surfing championships!! when i was there i got lessions from one of the england squad, i had about 5hours worth over the week! like cakey says the waves are huge!

C

Cakey

when i was there there was an old chap there and he was an ex world champion and he was doing tricks all day and the one that sent the crowd wild was he would surf all the way in sitting on his board with his legs and arm crossed which apparently one of the hardest to do