pole elastic help

paul1977

Reaction score
i have pole fished happily for 6 months now catching different fish the biggest being a carp to 11lb. the pole is a daiwa phantom x rated to 16 elastic which i ve been using to carp fish. the other day i hooked a fish at 7 meters that bottomed out the elastic in seconds and before i could fit anymore sections on the 7lb mainline snapped i was wondering if anyone knows ways of preventing this happening again??
could hollow elastic work or if anyone has any other advice it would be much welcomed
thanks

T

Terry D

I think you're probably better off sticking to something like your normal elastic. I used Vespre 12 for years with no problems. Make sure that where it is attached to the bung, it is done via a doubled up length of elastic eg a loop about 9-10in long. This really does help in the main. As regards a fish taking off like a rocket, you will get the odd one that does that and there's not much you can do about it but use a good rig and hanh on.

Joskin

Reaction score
Try fishing with an extra section already on your pole. It will stick out behind you by a few feet but so long as there are no obstructions behind you it wont cause any problems. It will enable you to ship the pole out a little more once you have a fish on that is really stretching your elastic. This should buy you enough time to add more sections before the elastic bottoms out.
I would also recommend that you use black Daiwa Hydrolastic. Its a little expensive but is superb. Its rated 12-16 and is not to heavy for the smaller fish of 2lb ish but can easily cope with double figure carp too. This week Ive managed to land a 24lb mirror a 20lb Common and a 7lb pike that was hooked by the tip of the tail. All on Black Hydrolastic without it bottoming out once.

Ok its a little expensive at ?14.99 a go but it really is superb stuff.

paul1977

Reaction score
thanks for the advice
i was thinking about the hydro elastic and think sometimes definatly worth paying extra can you double this elastic up in a loop like normal elastic?

Joskin

Reaction score
Yes you can double it up. I have a loop of around 10-12 inches.

paul1977

Reaction score
ok thanks everyone
hopefully i'll land the beast next time