grayling?

A

Andy Rooke

hi fellas

whilst walking down the stretch of river of our trout farm i have found and caught some grayling of a 1ib. i thought that these fish are wonderfull lovley fish and would certinally like to catch a lot more of them. now talking to some of the anglers on the river we stock and people who are serious fly fisherman what they think of em and most of them bassically turn there noses up and call them a pet, so what do you guys think of these marvalous fish or am i on my own here your veiws please anglers??
cheers
andy

R

Rob Brownfield

Grayling are fantastic, beautiful fish..and to catch a Grayling on a dry fly has to be one of the best experiences for a fly angler. They take a fly soooo fast it takes great skill to connect with them.

Even now Grayling are trown up the bank by game anglers fishing the Tay up here, but I am pleased to say that this practice is dying out along with the neandathals that practice this cruel practice.

Give the grayling a bash using weighted nymphs or trotted red worms in the winter...they fight superbly!

R

Richard Drayson

Down here in Hampshire, you'll find most rivers have an abundant head of grayling.
I think part of the trouble with grayling being termed a pest is due to the fact that some of the snob element in the trout fly fishing fraternity don't like paying considerable sums of money just to catch grayling. All they're interested in are trout, preferably browns over rainbows.
Some of the Test and Itchen has now become available for coarse fishing over the winter months, with most of my fishing being on the lower Test. I love fishing for the chub and roach but all too often I'm plagued by trout but I wouldn't go so far as to label these fish as being a pest.

R

Ray Bewick

Andy -

Couldn't agree with Rob & Richard more but the agin I usually do!.

My local club actually stocked our little local river with Grayling 5 - 6 years ago, they may not be 'thriving & overbreeding' as is often stated they do on 'chalk streams' but I'm very pleased if i have the luck to catch one while trotting.

Incidently I caught a 2lber from the Hamp Avon by accident whilst after Barbel, it was a real beauty.

Regards to all