Imagine this scenario....

Malc Bason

Reaction score
You arrive at a venue, a lake in this instance, knowing the lake to have previously been full prior to you arrival.

You know nothing of the bait that has gone in, and you rather suspect a lot has gone in the day before you arrive.

How would you approach it?

Personally, I would watch the water very carefully looking for signs of fish showing or feeding (the usual stuff), but bearing in mind a lot of bait could have gone in, I would be very wary of over-doing it!

So, for the first 24hrs, I would probably fish single hookbaits, with perhaps just a pva bag of pellet and/or stick mix with a couple of boilies crumbed into the mix on one rod.

On another rod, I would go very light again, with perhaps a stringer.

On the third, I might have a fluro pop-up - maybe off the lead, and use this to cast to showing fish (if they are indeed showing).

If I am then succesful, on either of the above methods, I may put more bait in to keep them in front of me. Then fish accordingly.

So, I'll ask again:

How would you approach it?

Benny The Bream

Reaction score
Sounds very good to me thats how i have been approaching my local as it gets very busy and there is a fair head of fish so everyone seems to want to fill it in

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

How would I approach it?
I would check you had enough licences, check your hooks, check for booze, check for illegal baits, check you weren't asleep, and check for checking sake. (o

L

little Stu!

How would I approach it?

I'd put baz through a mincer then feed him to the stock of fish residing on the water!

U

unknownforce

i always check the bins when i turn up at the lake - usually gives an indication of what people have been using and sometimes there's a bit of a left over sarnie, which is always welcome

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Look, I know it does'nt happen often, but I'm trying to be bloody sensible here! LOL

Though Stu's idea is a very good one! ;o)

C

Cakey

malc i need to know is it first time to lake or do i reg fish it

U

unknownforce

i wasnt serious about the sarnie part, but checking the bins is an option i usually employ. i also like to choose the swims furthest from the car park

Malc Bason

Reaction score
First time at the lake Cakey. You know it was full before you arrived, but empty now, so nobody to ask.

C

Cakey

i would try to get there early early to see any signs ,if no signs then i would use my watercraft and fish a hot spot and because i have confidence in my rigs and bait all three rod would be the same
i wouldnt use back leads because i want the line bites to let me know theres fish in the swim
id try to fish two features and the third rod as a "searching rod" and prob move it every two hours until...................

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Something else I'd do is to ask Malc and Stu for advice, then do the opposite.

L

little Stu!

like boil your head Baz?

Malc, im sorry, but I agree with Unknownforce, i wouldnt bother with the climbing trees, or sitting there wondering whether or not too little or too much bait has gone in....I too would have a rummage through the bins, i love it!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Yep, certainly a good idea Stuart and Stu, unfortunately, there are no bins at this lake, the previous weeks anglers were a pretty tidy bunch and all the rubbish was bagged up and disposed of by the bailiff.

Yep, furthest swim from the car park, excellent, but I'd already mentioned in my first post that the lake had been full so, some amount of bait had gone in all over!

So, what would you do? How would you approach the water? What method(s) would you adopt initially?