Worms

Simon Beehre

Reaction score
Im taking a mate of mine from Ireland trout fishing on the weekend, we are going to be fishing the Manhaokewa River not far from where i grew up. Its not a big river but has crystal clear water with some nice pools and rapids. Im planning to spin for them and use some Berkley Gulp earth worms, what rigs should i use for the earthworms? I was thinking i would tie a hook straight onto my main line put some split shot a few cm's above it and float the worm into the pool from the rapids. Does that sound like a decent idea?

S

Sean Meeghan

Hi Simon, with artificial worms you will need to keep them moving for best effect. By all means drift them into a pool, but then retrieve them using a sink and draw technique. Lift the rod tip sharply to lift the worm in the water then let it sink.

Don't neglect the rapids either. Drop the worrm into any quieter areas, in front and behind boulders, that sort of thing.

Where is the Manhaokewa river?

Simon Beehre

Reaction score
Hi Sean thanks for that that pretty much confirms what i was thinking. The Mangaokewa river is just outside Te Kuiti which is my home town. In case you havent figured it out thats down here in New Zealand :)

keora

Reaction score
If worms are allowed, I'd use one or two medium size worms on a size 12 hook. If barbed hooks aren't allowed, and the worms wriggle off, slide a sliver of rubber band on to the point and work it round to the bend.

Use a largish float with a thick top, taking about two swan shot (3gms). Move swims regularly.

I don't think it's worth throwing chopped worm in, if the water is fast flowing.

Ian Alexander

Reaction score
Would some kind of attractor work too?
Rather like a flounder spoon?
Even a gold bead can make a world of difference.
Sounds like a great time is in the offing. Good luck mate.
One thing I do know about trout is that when they are feeding, if you get in their sight and the bait you offer is attractive enough, they'll bite.

S

Sean Meeghan

Ah I did wonder Simon! Ians right in that an attractor in front of an artificial can work really well. Put 'worm rigs' into your search engine and have a look at some of the American sites. Here's a good one:

http://www.bassresource.com/beginner/Carolina_Texas_Rig.html

The Texas rig and the Carolina rigs are the two basic rigs to start with. In my opinion the Carolina would be best for you.