catching up in the water

Parky

Reaction score
Ello there,

as the weather is perking up im hoping to try catching carp up in the water. i tried this tactic late last season using maggots and got nothing but silvers.

am i more likey to get carp interested by using a more robust bait like sweetcorn? any other advice for making this technique work ? e.g. depth ?

Thanks, Parky

Big Mart

Reaction score
Afternoon Parky,

I've had the same trouble as you before. There are bigger fish there but the silvers get in first.
What worked for me was to use an 'on the drop type rig' with just a nice flake of bread on a large(ish) hook (size 10-12 which puts off the smaller fish).
I used plenty of corn which sinks quicker and this feeds off the small fish whilst the flake if dunked slightly in the water before the cast should then sink slowly at a rate which those bigger more cautious fish just cant resist.
Hope that helps mate.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Use a heavy waggler float, 3AA+, so it makes a good 'splash', sink line by lowering rod tip under water and yukking it up, ie: don't reel in to sink line, and keep feed going in constantly, 2-3 maggots on a 14 and you should be okay, no shot down line.

Parky

Reaction score
whats the best way to hook break flake without it dropping off?

Big Mart

Reaction score
Right, bit of practice this one. Take a flake, squash one bit really hard around the shank of the hook (So it looks like dough) leaving a nice fluffy bit around the hook point. Dont worry about obscuring the point though as the bread is definitely soft enough to strike through when you get a bite.
My tip if you are casting with very light tackle is just to ever so slightly dunk the bread first in the water. Once this is done you have a little extra weight to cast with and when you hit your spot the bread should sink slowly rather than float on top (Especially as Merv suggests above when you use no shot on the line).

U

unknownforce

the zig rig is also an option. its just a pop up rig that isnt pinned to the bottom. i caught for the first time on one last week, markered up so it was a foot and a half below the surface. the take was a bit odd and playing the fish was also a bit different, due to the long hooklink.

i would recommend tying the lead to the clip with pva tape so it comes off on the take (thats what i will do next time as was worried about hook pull due to the lead bouncing around 5 foot from the fish). i also used a korda shockleader sleeve over the swivel to make a stiff boom to prevent tangles