Political Correctness

Reaction score
Working, as I do, in an environment where unruly behaviour and rudeness are invariably described as 'inappropriate', I find myself unconsciously converting to this 'Newspeak' wherever I am - including on the riverbank.
Why? Only a couple of months ago I was asked by a fellow angler if I'd had 'any joy' and I answered, without thinking, that I had been piscatorially - challenged all morning...I hadn't even removed my fish-retention unit from the bag!
Have other readers suffered similarly?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
One does resort to one's normal behaviour when caught off guard I find but the plebs seem to take it in good heart, bully for them, salt of the earth and all that.

One's instruments of the angle seem to attract quite a lot of raucous comments though and it can put one orf if one isn't careful. I tend to smile at them for fear of reprisal were I to tell them naff orf. Still, one survives don't you know.

Reaction score
Graham, should you be confronted with 'challenging behaviour' at any time, it's probably wisest to explain why their remarks are hurtful and inappropriate, but whatever you do - don't give them looks 'without milk'.

L

Les Clark

I agree with Graham ,just smile and then find something to do ,make rigs up ,tidy thing up ,anything to break up the conversation ,they then get bored and sod off .

I have to keep reminding myself that i`m not 20 anymore and to tell them to go forth may not be a good idea .

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

Yep and its a sad indictment of Britain today.

Fishing outside the UK is more relaxing these days because you don't have to censor what you say to non-anglers nor do you have to constantly defend the sport.

There was a dead swan on the water I was fishing last weekend. The non-fishing walkers variously attributed this to anglers or bird flu when it had actually been killed by the dominant cobb.

Every year at this time the RSPCA get called out to attend to "ducks killed by anglers" at the water. Quick to point the finger the individuals that report these dead birds never seem to notice that they are all female mallards with very few feathers on their heads.

Fear to speak out because of PC is leading to increasing restrictions on angling brought in to cure perceived rather than real problems. Those with an anti-angling agendas have been exploiting this for some time to intriduce bans on night fishing etc. If we are not carefull it will be the death of angling.