Hemp & Maize

Dave C 37

Reaction score
I looking to buy a load of hemp and maize for a pre baiting session and was wondering if any of you could help me with the best place to buy.

I would also like it if you could share some advice on how to prepair it.

Beecy

Reaction score
pet shops are your best bet for buying in bulk

Lee swords put an article on here a few months ago that tells you everything you need to know about hemp.

E

EC

Dont buy maize by mail order, its about six quid for 25kg from the local animal food stockists by us, and you'll end up paying more fo postage.

Go to yell.com here and search for animal feed suppliers or similair.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
Eddie, many thanks, went through your link, and find that there's an animal feed company on an industrial estate not a couple of miles from me, a national company, but never knew they were there.

E

EC

Take care though Merv, seriously now, try not to let on that you are an angler or else you will find certain products go up in price and/or are packaged differently just to rip you off, although whats new there? (Right tackle and bait manufacturers!)

Example, my local had 20Kg micro trout pellet priced at 18 rips april 05, by the end of the summer 05 the price was ?30 in the new 'angling section'.

In same 'angling' section, a small jar of molasses 2quid, in horsey section, a gallon of molasses for 4 quid.

Look out for ewe nuts (same as CSL pellets except a bit lighter in colour) layers pellet, and i believe beet pellets are thick with molasses and betain although it can depend on the brand/type apparently.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"....try not to let on you are an angler..."

Eddie, if you ever sit behind me when i'm fishing, you'll realise that not 'letting on' i'm an angler is a role I slip into very easily !!! :eek:]

Foxy

Reaction score
Best ive found for general bits and pieces (CLO, Dog biscuits, Maize) etc are those countrywide stores, theres loads of them about. Theres a little pet food shop round the corner from me that caters for "pidgeon fanciers" ive never seen so many types of partiblend / red band in my entire life!

i usually pick the ones that are suited for "Young Birds"

;-)