Smartcast / electronic marker work!

U

unknownforce

For those wondering, these are electronic fish, depth and feature finders that o attach to your main line and cast out. You then retieve accross the top of the water and the rod or wrist mounted display tells you the contours of the bottom and whether there are fish present, all for a hundred quid and without having to drag a lead around the bottom.

Having recently seen these i wondered if they were a new thing out or just havent caught on. If they havent caught on I just wondered why? Anyone have any comments?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Been around for quite a long time now, Stuart. Amazing, ain't it - the search facility! ;o)

captain carrott

Reaction score
you mean the one i've got hasn't caught on.
wouldn't be without it now i've got it.

U

unknownforce

nothing like bait boats richard. makes sense to not churn up the bottom of your swim if you can help it and still requires baiting strategy, rig choice, accurate placement and casting

richard turner

Reaction score
fair comment m8 what i was trying to say is that alot of people dont like new gadgets im all for them iv been thinking about getting one to fit on my boat

MJ.

Reaction score
i am looking to buy one, which one is best and where is the best place to buy it please.(it is 300 euro to get one here in Ireland).

G

Grant Lever

i've got a smartcast 100e (?46 off ebay +?30 for new float),not bad but not 100% efficient,good for finding depth quickly ,but fish finding not so good although i have only used it in fairly shallow water,superb for trotting down my local river trent as it shows depth variations well and if fish are shown you can be certain they are there.saves a lot of time because there are long barren stretches.i showed it two lads who had been fishing for five hours without a bite,nothing on the line they were fishing, run it through 5 yd.s closer in ,loads of fish,they were gobsmacked.

Richard Wilson 3

Reaction score
Which model gives you the furthest distance? i had 1 originally but it woudlnt send info back after 2 rod lengths out, but they have improved them to a greater distance but which model is best?

G

Grant Lever

the claimed range is 30 yards,you can have them tweeked up with arials,also cut top off float and extend the spiral arial,then seal up,also you can cut bottom off float ,back half only to change battery at a cost of ?1 from wilko's.all this will invalidate any warranty but in the case of the float you have nothing to lose.