Bit of a dilemma?

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Membership on my syndicate water runs out on the 15th May 06.

I still have'nt found a job, although there are one or two possibilities on the horizon.

I cannot, therefore, afford to renew my syndicate membership which would be ?280.

However, today, after a few enquiries on the net, and a few chance happenings, I found myself a lovely little water that is only 4 miles from home! Its a peach of a place. The lake itself is 14 acres; it is reached off a B road, through a farm, into the Stables car park, then over a field. It is surrounded by woodland, absolutely beautiful. It holds mainly carp, and though not large by todays standards, they go to 27lb, mainly Commons! I saw around a dozen or so in total cruising around in the margins, in various spots.

The car park is very secure, but it might be a bit of a ball-acher getting the gear to the lake, but thats the only minus.

The lake has a syndicate membership of just 45. I walked around today with the Sporting Manager and no-one was there. I asked if it got busy at weekends - "there were four here last weekend", he replied!

So, my dilemma is, do I spend ?175 for a ticket for this little gem of a place? (?105 less than my present one) Or do I do what is right and proper - given my current circumstances, and that is not pay for any fishing until I find a job?

L

Les Clark

Malc , go for it , its cheaper than your normal membership ,close to home which means low petrol costs and at the moment plenty of time to get your gear to your chosen swim ,when i was out of work last year i still kept my membership up ,its a lifeline evan when your skint ,you have to fish ,its a big part of your life .

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Tricky one Malc, if there's one thing I've learned in my past and in the job I now do it's don't buy what you're not sure you can afford. I got myself into debt by not doing this and was fortunate in that I can afford to pay it off now. I do however speak to people every day who cannot.

At least you know where this beauty of a fishery is for future reference!

L

Les Clark

Hi Paul ,yes mate , its a hard one but ?175 quid for a seasons fishing is worth takeing a chance .

E

EC

Get the ?175 ticket Malc, thats only ?3.40 a week thereabouts, you'll spend far more on day tickets and travelling etc!

You can always use corn, bread and worms for bait if you have to cut costs and at 4 miles away you could even bike it or scrounge a lift, which is ideal if you're having to tighten the purse strings!

If you don't we all know you'll be twiddling your thumbs all year and wishing you'd done it come Sept!

FFS I wish I had somewhere even remotely similar 4 miles from here!

P

paul williams 2

Malc.....my advice would be forget the syndicate....i personally know at least one club water in your area that hols (or held untill a couple of years back) commons to 30+

Fishing ain't about money, and trust me i have wasted more than most thinking it was!.....because we think "carp" we think ???????'s but they are out there waiting to be caught on the cheap....and usually unnamed fish.......how about a river 20?

But you could always sell Clems body if you really want the syndicate? ;)

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments chaps. :eek:)

I shall have a couple of club waters to make use of too. One (?30) has a load of wildies that go balistic when hooked, and another about 30 miles away (?45) that has an unknown quantity of carp but which go to 36lbs + ('ve seen the pics).

Theres also Nene Angling and Castle Angling to consider too, and there are plenty of carp waters amongst them. But this place is such a beauty.

** By the way if anyone reading this wonders why I appear to be going to France with the lads on here in a few weeks time, well that bought and paid for, with stuff I've sold, so I have sort of taken that out of the equasion, so to speak!

Disco stu

Reaction score
Malc, forget about it, you dont know when you will get a paying job, you and your partner need a bit of security before you go lashing out your savings on syndicates.

Richard Farrow

Reaction score
At the end of the day Malc its your call. I think you can only make it after weighing up all the pros and cons carefully. Finally don't let your heart rule your head.

F

Frothey

go for the new syndicate.....you can always live in the bivvy!

to be honest malc, unless we've been in your postition we can hardly comment can we?

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Eddie, ?3.40 a week is pretty darn cheap when you look at it that way but sometimes it's that relatively large one off payment that can do the damage. I suppose only you know what's affordable Malc, like Richard says don't let your heart rule your head cos it could turn into the most expensive club you ever joined.

I'm a cheery soul aren't I... Sorry.

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Paul, and everyone else, I do truly value your advice and thoughts on this. I do find it difficult at times overruling my heart if you see what i mean!!!

john anthony bate

Reaction score
do a car boot sale we all have things we realy do not need
can allways replace them when you have a job

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Just had an email from the Sporting Manager (in other words, bailiff) of the water I looked at yesterday.

He said that should I wish to apply for membership, I will have to provide references! Or a referee at least!

Anyone heard of this before? I could understand if it was a high-profile syndicate full of 'names' from the carp fishing world. I would understandably have to prove my worth, so to speak. But this is a small concern tucked away from anywhere.

Its not even as if it was just a postal application - I've met the guy! Surely he would be able to decide whether I was the "right kind of person" to have on his lake or not? Or perhaps thats the point!

Malc Bason

Reaction score
Unless he gets back to me and says he will waver the need for a reference, thats made my mind up for me!

No longer a dilemma, eh?

matt

Reaction score
I would be happy to hear they worked that system it's not unusual.
It gives an indication that the club care about having the 'right ' people on their water.
By 'right ' I mean responsible. Off course it's not hard to get a referee or write your own if you want it's an easily cheated system, but it shows a responsibility from the club to it's members.
The 'water manager' may not be being a knob it may be a club rule.