launce

david nye

Reaction score
is launce a good pike bait and also has anyone ever tried 5 inch coalfish for bait as their in abundance where i am and i will get some now for the winter....dave

A

Andrew Macfarlane

Lots of folk really rate Launce. I've only used it a couple of times but it caught fish none the less. Same with Coalies. I'd use them no sweat.

T

The Piker

I have had pike on both launce & sandeel.

With launce they are best cut in half...

A good bait to pop-up.............

L

levelspiker

it may well be illegal to use 5inch coalfish,as they are a commercially fished for species and subject to a minimum size limit which is a lot more than 5 inches.
the

david nye

Reaction score
i will check that out but i would have thought thats the same about mackeral as the are commercially fished and we all use joeys....dave

C

Chris Bishop

Aren't joeys caught in Spanish waters, where they don't have the same size lims..?

B

Budgie Burgess

Chris is right I questioned many years ago the legality of both Joeys and Jacks.

Used both Launce and Sandeel many years ago at Abberton.Chose them basicly for their shape as I wanted to fish at extreme ranges (130+).It was before bait boats and "Ballooning" was frowned on.Clipped down right behind the lead (sea fishing style) and frozed they were the only bait we could get to stay on and reach the required distance.Dont think (as a bait any way) that they caught anymore or any less but the fact we was able to fish them at distance certainly made a difference.

Garfish is another one Ive used as well.

Never really rated the non oily sea fish (cod,pollack,pouting,whiting etc)as bait and feel pretty certain the only reason they work is on heavily pressured waters where the mere fact they are "different" is enough.

I once turned up to fish a local pit and there were half dozen or so dead Dabs in the margins! Good bait for Tope but never tried them for Pike

L

levelspiker

yes chris,you are right mate,the small joeys on sale are caught in foreign waters.
i`ve had some good fish on small pouting too.

david nye

Reaction score
thanks for that lads so i will use what ive got and make sure i dont keep anymore under 10inches "bet i get a biggun on the little coalies" ha ha ha