Centrepin

T

The Piker

I am thinking of getting a centrepin reel for my barbel fishing..

What is the advatage of a pin,is it worth the expense.

I fish the Wye most of the time.

I am told the Ray Walton pin is the best,but it is ?325 ...

Any advice,i normally use baitrunners...

Cheers TP..............

Fred Blake

Reaction score
I would suggest you stick to the baitrunners on the big rivers. A centrepin is better for playing fish and has the added advantage that, when rolling a bait back towards you, you can retrieve line with the thumb of the rod holding hand; however neither are of any consequence if you cannot get the bait out where you want it in the first place.

The Ray Walton reel is a glorified sidecaster; you turn the spool to face up the rod for casting, then turn it back for retrieving/playing a fish. In that sense, casting range is not limited but, at over ?300 you'd have to be pretty serious about wanting one. I believe there are cheaper versions which work on the same principle; the problem is every time you cast and retrieve you put a set of twists into the line.

G

Geoff Cowen

The Ray Walton Rolling Pin is a lovely reel and well worth the money (I have one) but as to its suitability for your needs - well.
I think if you are static fishing then you will get little benefit, If you are a wonderer travelling light the I'm sure you will get your moneys worth. As for line twists by using braid Ray Walton style then you will not have a problem. Well worth having a look at his site on the web.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

There is nothing to beat catching a good barbel on the float on the pin but for static legering you will be restricted to fairly close in fishing.That said the sound of a barbel tearing away with the ratchet screaming is something else.It depends on the swims you fish.My understanding was that the Wye needed fairly log casts into far bank gulleys.

T

Tony Rocca

Nigel,

"you will be restricted to fairly close in fishing".

Why does everyone think this Nigel? 30 yrds or more is easily cast on a pin, either "off the side" or by wallis casting.

I have fished the far bank of the wye, in a flood with 5oz on, in this way.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Tony, true but unless you have some degree of experience with a pin you would be unlikely to get those distances.If TP is happy to learn then fine.Wallis casting is no mystical art but it is the case that some find it harder than others.

Jeff, also true but most pins dont have the side cast facility.

Bryan Baron 2

Reaction score
The Shakespeare Lincoln as the side cast facility made by Avery but I doubt it will hold enough line. I would recommend buying the Okuma pro and learn the Wallis cast. If you can not master it nothing lost as its a lovely reel and use it for trotting. Leeds do a centre pin for around ?40 that's ok for the money and will hold loads of line for long cast.

I use my centrepins for close work preferring the accuracy of my fixed spools when casting to the far bank.

J

jonathan warrener

I got an Okuma Aventa Pro at Xmas time and it got a lot of use trotting for grayling, trout and chub til the end of the season. Can't wait to load some heavier line on it and use it for barbel on the Dove this coming summer. Don't need to cast far on this river!

T

The Piker

Cheers guys,mabey i will stick to the baitrunners..

Better the devil,you know!!!!!!!!..

fred hall

Reaction score
Very occasionally I trot a float with one of the two centre pins that I own so probably most of you have far greater expertise than me. However IMHO there are definite limits to what a centrepin can do and it just don't compare with a decent fixed spool when it comes to versatility. The great thing about angling is that you can participate however you like so if you want to use a centrepin to sling a heavy lead across a wide river, your choice. I cannot help asking why, though!

Paul Whiteing

Reaction score
Fred

I have just had to re-register so it probably says somewhere that this is my first post.

However, that aside, there probably are limits to what distances a centrepin user can achieve, but these are greater than you may think. For me, up to 20 yds is comfortable, up to some 50 yds or more is possible, as I demonstrated to someone recently, but really not worth it as you suggested. For anything over 20 yds I'd use a f/s. Although on the barbel river I fish, anything over 10-15 yds is well on the other bank.

paul4

ps. Stuart (the piker) you have an email