Skin problems & Dendrobeana

G

George Nunn

I just wondered if anyone has suffered a skin reaction after handling Dendrobaena worm? I was using chopped worm last week and got quite a bit of the gunge on my hands, a few days later my hands were covered in weeping blisters and I've had to take lots of antibiotics. I've never really used worm before so am assuming that the worm gunge is the problem.It may just be a coincidence but it would be nice if I could find out for sure. I've tried emailing a couple of suppliers and the EA but all have remained silent.

alan

Reaction score
if your not sure find your local car parts dealer and buy a box of gloves, normally around ?2 for 100 pairs.

C

Chris Bishop

Hi George, never heard of this before but people are allergic to all kinds of things.

Have you tried the NHS Direct website/helpline, or even given your GP practice a call..?

B

Big Rik

it could be whatever they were kept in.

Some people react to compost etc.

J

Jeff (AKA Cheeky Monkey, Spud, Jay Dubya, Woody .

If you were chopping the worms and left the gunge on your hands it was probably the acids in there blood/digestive tracts that caused it.

ALWAYS - wash your hands after chopping worms and mixing some groundbaits even.

Once clean by using water, treat them with a further washing with a alcohol based solution to kill all germs and other infectious material.

You can buy small bottles of a product called "MAGIC" from Asda, look amongst the disinfectants, TCP etc. It's only about ?1 a bottle and could save your life, think about Weils disease!

C

Chris Bishop

I never knew that Woody. I have a couple of botts of alcohol gel, usually one on the boat or in my bag with a small first aid kit for the inevitable cuts and grazes, same in car.

R

Robert Woods 1

Supadrug also sells an alcahol based cleaning gel for 99p. Handy if you run out of whiskey in winter...lol

L

Lee Swords (The new and improved)Satans little he

I get itchy hands when I use swim stim

coelacanth

Reaction score
Could have been something similar to the story here http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=917
It's supposed to be related to the haemoglobin in bloodworm triggering off an extreme immune response, someone I used to work with used to get really blistered inflamed skin on his hands from handling it.
Although obviously bloodworms are Insects and Dendros are Annelids, there could be similar compounds present.

Beecy

Reaction score
on similar lines,

I was once warned that bloodworm and joker, especialy the imported stuff, could have come from sewage works and therfore could hold all sorts of nasty bugs.

Ive also often wondered about the safety of any of the fishmeal type groundbaits, on quite a few occasions ive ended up with a mouthful when opening bags with my teeth, or taken a lungfull of the dust when tipping it into the mixing bowl ?

coelacanth

Reaction score
"I was once warned that bloodworm and joker, especialy the imported stuff, could have come from sewage works and therfore could hold all sorts of nasty bugs"

There's been some real nasties isolated from Bloodworm in the past, Hepatitis, E. coli etc. etc.
Don't eat your butties after handling it...
Plus there's the possibility of Bloodworm from Europe acting as intermediate host for various fish pathogens and parasites, some of which might not be currently present in the UK. Given all the other means by which this can happen though (Cormorants, Grebes, Terns, people on European fishing trips and the rest) it's probably not a major issue.
I'm not sure about the rumours that some of the huge Bloodworm sometimes available comes from near an old power station in the Ukraine, nor have I checked whether it glows in the dark.

E

EC

Lets face it, we anglers are, by and large, absolutely totally and utterly MINGIN.