quick to wise up

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
...or maybe this hooting Easterly has put them off their grub, or the Easter heatwave got them spawning early (if you only had one chance a year, and even that depended on the weather being spot on, would you stop for a boilie?).
Time to get some variety in your floating fare... dog biscuits, pop-ups and bits thereof, the occaisional mini marshmallow, flavours, colours.
Don't make it too easy for them to work out which variety pulls at their lip!

And bear in mind that some people consider that when the carp have been convinced to look up for their snacks, the bottom-bait fishing goes off...

barbelboi

Reaction score
Carp in my local lake have soon wised up to floating bread last night I caught 1 whereas last week I caught 5 or 6 each evening

Don’t know what the weather’s like in Sheffield but, if the wind is anything like it down here, you’re an absolute genius to get the get the bloody bread on the water in the right postcode at all. I get these images of bread up in the sky like a kite with terns picking if off at 30’.

sagalout

Reaction score
Try the pellet waggler, 18" to 2' deep. Having 9+ in a couple of hours at the moment.

I am fishing first light until they stop feeding, anytime between 0730 and 1000 depending on the sun.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've just spent the weekend in Lowestoft where the weather was described on the local TV forecast as "breezy". I wouldn't want to be there when its windy then !

This morning it was slightly calmer...I would say only a Force 8. Yesterday was unbelievable.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
In the current windy conditions when fish tend to be more confident on the take at the surface (providing its not too cold!) I don't think you can beat anchored crust which is easy to cast and it keeps the bread in one spot (I realise this is not always desireable!) and because the line comes up to the bread from the bottom of the water line is not visible on the surface....although I have to admit that if a fish bumps into the line under the bread they can turn away.

A simple very free running bomb (I use 1/2oz or so) which rests against the swivel which,in turn holds the braid to the size 6 hook.Cast into the desired spot,release the line,the bomb sinks and the bread eventually rises to the surface....dead simple!

Tighten to the bread so it just moves with rod in rest and just wait for a take....if the fish are rising freely I usually hold the rod with line between my fingers and as the fish takes you can feel them moving away and a tighten rather than strike does the job....

I fish this near trees etc with an underarm cast and it works just great even in water 6/8' deep-in fact I took a nice plump 8lb fish last week in 12' of water-no problem at all!!

It really is a nice way to fish and casting vertually anywhere is a doddle which resulted in fish up to 18lb last year.....10lb line and 8lb braid..perfect!

Give in a real tryout......its worth it!!!

ps ...sometimes I tighten so the bread is an inch or so under the surface and this IMO induces the fish to take in one hit rather than mess around......

Last edited:

barbelboi

Reaction score
In the current windy conditions when fish tend to be more confident on the take at the surface (providing its not too cold!) I don't think you can beat anchored crust which is easy to cast and it keeps the bread in one spot (I realise this is not always desireable!) and because the line comes up to the bread from the bottom of the water line is not visible on the surface....although I have to admit that if a fish bumps into the line under the bread they can turn away.

A simple very free running bomb (I use 1/2oz or so) which rests against the swivel which,in turn holds the braid to the size 6 hook.Cast into the desired spot,release the line,the bomb sinks and the bread eventually rises to the surface....dead simple!

Tighten to the bread so it just moves with rod in rest and just wait for a take....if the fish are rising freely I usually hold the rod with line between my fingers and as the fish takes you can feel them moving away and a tighten rather than strike does the job....

I fish this near trees etc with an underarm cast and it works just great even in water 6/8' deep-in fact I took a nice plump 8lb fish last week in 12' of water-no problem at all!!

It really is a nice way to fish and casting vertually anywhere is a doddle which resulted in fish up to 18lb last year.....10lb line and 8lb braid..perfect!

Give in a real tryout......its worth it!!!

ps ...sometimes I tighten so the bread is an inch or so under the surface and this IMO induces the fish to take in one hit rather than mess around......

I have copied a section from the remarkable Kevin Clifford's chapter 'Nothing New Under The Sun'

A note in The Fishing Gazette, in 1883, draws the reader’s attention to the use of bread crust in the following manner:
“Has anybody tried the following method of catching carp? Plumb the depth of the pond, and bait with cubes of bread. Fix your bullet so the bread will float on the top of the water, the lead, of course, being on the bottom. Small fish will proceed to nibble the bread, and so attract the larger fish, one of which at last runs off with it. Then hit him!”:wh

Wasn't you by chance TeeCee?

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
Nice idea barbelboi...but I'm not that ancient!!

I first read about it in a Walker book from memory many,many moons ago (likely as not he pinched it from The Fishing Gazette!!) .....in fact I think he suggested using 2" squares of crust and I thought he must be having a laugh but as with much of what he wrote he was right in that large lumps of crust rise much quicker AND an 8lb carp has no problem sucking it in....

On my lake,on warm days I can see the fish cruising around and I just cast close by............some of the takes are huge and the slurp is staggering..

..........must read that Clifford book sometime..

I do hope people will give it a go though!!!

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I had been using bread crust on a controler float but in the wind I used the bomb free running stopped by a float stop on the main line tied to a small swivel to the hook link

using a float stop allows you to change the depth of the baiy - on the surface, just under ect

bit like a chod rig for carp