long pole fishing

Yacko

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
This may seem like a stupid question but when you play fish on the pole, does the shock absorbing affect of the elastic reduce the pleasure in playing the fish.
When you play a fish with a light float-rod you feel every kick etc. Is it quite the same?
Regards Yacko

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Neil,

Yes, the playing experience is different; there's plenty of skill involved albeit different, and it can get just as exiting!

I believe that modern rods absorb much more of the kicks than was formerly the case, and that you feel far less as a result, and this is one of the reasons for far fewer hook pulls. I've tried alternating with a 30 year old glass rod and the difference is incredible, even more so if you use a cane rod, I believe.

In some circumstances a pole can offer considerable advantages in playing fish as well as in bait presentation. What is true and often not realised by those that haven't used one, is that fish react differently when played with elastic. Some fish that you'd think would be impossible to land because they tend to run fast plod around and can be beaten easily. Pike are the best example. I've hooked many smallish pike 4 - 7 pound when light floatfishing and they've snaffled the small roach I was playing; on a rod I rarely land them yet in the same swims on a pole the pike is easily defeated and landed despite the light line. Those that have fished for average barbel have had the same though I haven't done this. Of course the elastic and tackle have to be matched right. The hardest fish to land seem to be the match size carp.

Bob S

Reaction score
Agree, the playing experience is different and can be just as exciting.
I was suprised how efficient a pole is for small river chub, very handy for keeping the fish mid river, out of the near bank snags.
Conversely, I've hooked a couple of rainbow trout, and they go mental!
The hardest thing to remember as a dyed in the wool rod and line angler, is to keep the pole tip low and let the elastic do the work.
Lost a good carp the other day because my old habit of applying side strain only succeeded in locking the elastic - game over. Lesson learned for the next trip though!

Yacko

Reaction score
Hi Mark,
Interesting that the fish respond differently, but I'm please it's still exiting. I'm sure people wouldn't really bother taking to the pole if it was a real dampener. It was just negative comment someone made and it's good to get a few different views on it.
By the way I seem to be catching my share of fish lately which I'm sure is in no small part due to your help.
Regards Yacko